Monday, March 27, 2023

MISMATCHED SOCKS

Nina and Charlie Portfors

Bending over in a fold during our yoga session, I got a good look at my socks and noticed that they were mismatched – one gray, the other tan. Naturally, this meant I had a pair exactly like them in the drawer. So as not to make the same mistake twice, I took the mismatched pair out of the drawer and laid it on the dresser. Then I promptly washed the pair I was wearing and corrected the problem. (I’m fastidious about some things.)

Mismatched socks reminded me of my Grandfather Portfors. He was color blind, so dark blue, brown, and maroon all looked black to him. In order to match his socks, he would lay them on the tea cart in his kitchen, which was directly under the light. Then he could tell them apart – maybe. He would ask Mother to doublecheck.

Grandpa owned the Ford garage in our town, and I would say his one and only extravagance was his car – always a Lincoln. Mother told me that once when his new Lincoln was delivered, he seemed reserved in his reaction. “What’s the matter, Pop,” she asked.

“Well, doggonit,” he said, “I didn’t want a black car.”

“Pop, it’s not black. It’s maroon,” Mother replied. And she said he was quite happy knowing it wasn’t black, even though he saw it as black.

But I think he did prefer white cars. His last two Lincolns were white. The very last one was a 1956, and he drove it for ten years or so until he quit driving altogether. KW

[Note the white car on the left -- undoubtedly Grandpa's Lincoln.]

3 comments:

Chris said...

Great picture! Do you know where it was taken? And I remember his last Lincoln. Once he drove you to my house to pick me up and then dropped us both off at the movies. It was a beautiful car!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris! No, I don't know where this photo was taken. It was in Uncle Porkie's collection of slides.

Yes that Lincoln was a nice car. He drove my sisters -- Harriet, Joni, and Nina -- to the church for their weddings. There's a nice photo of Joni sitting in that Lincoln in her wedding dress. Wish I had a copy of it.

I don't remember the specific occasion you mention, but I don't doubt that it happened. It was good of him to look out for us.

Kathy said...

A nephew suggests that the photo of Charlie and Nina Portfors was taken at Red River Hot Springs. He said it looks to him as he remembers the lodge before it burned.