Monday, November 27, 2023

UP ON THE HOUSETOP, CLOMP-CLOMP-CLOMP

The full Beaver Moon rises.

More outdoor holiday lighting appears daily in our neighborhood, and Mike decided to join in the fun by putting lights on our front eaves. To that end, he climbed into the shop loft to retrieve the lights, and then he climbed the ladder to the housetop, working during breaks from watching football. (Saturday was an important football day.)

I tried to talk him out of this labor-intensive activity that in my opinion poses some danger, but he wanted to do it. He said he didn’t need help, so feeling considerable angst, I hid out in the house. But I could hear him clomping on the roof, and I knew it wasn’t Santa.

It IS nice to have some outdoor lights. I know Mike did it for me, for the family, and for the neighborhood. And I always think that in some small way, it even blesses the world. KW

6 comments:

Chuck said...

I'm glad Mike has the stamina and desire to do those things. Also, the house will look more festive. Unless our kids help us, we won/t do any Christmas things this year. Joanne's knee surgery recovery will be our top priority.

Kathy said...

Festive appearance is a good point, Chuck. I'm sorry Joanne's knee surgery will impact your holiday, but I hope she is relieved of the pain.

Hallie said...

I no longer do lights on the eaves for how much trouble it is. It's quite dangerous with our high peaks and front steps that interfere with ladder placement. But I do lights in the bushes and I appreciate it when others put up lights, but it seems that people in the city are lacking in holiday spirit.

Kathy said...

I put battery-operated candles in the front windows, and that's my understated decoration.

I have noticed that in the community, some years are better lit than others Individual and collective factors influence it. It's still early, though.

Hallie said...

I think you're right that it was early. I've been seeing a lot of people putting up lights this weekend. My rule is that Thanksgiving must pass before I turn on Christmas lights, but I suppose many people require that we be in the month of December.

Kathy said...

Like Grandma Ina, not everyone decorates early. When I was a child, we brought our tree in a week before Christmas. Then the process began to feel crowded, so the folks went to two weeks, then three. And Daddy also began to decorate outside earlier. It took quite a while to decorate, so it was good to begin early.

We so enjoyed the video of little Silas seeing the Christmas lights. "Look at the lights; I see 'em," he said.