Friday, December 1, 2023

DAY 1 -- ADVENT 2023

SNOW!

We had a lovely snowstorm this morning – quiet and such big soft flakes falling so thickly. – Shirley Dobson, 1933

It’s Friday, December 1, 1933 – 90 years ago. Ina awoke with a start at 4:00 a.m. It seemed eerily quieter than the usual late autumn day, and she knew what that meant. She carefully slipped out from under the heavy quilts, crept to the window, and looked out on a world blanketed in white.


Yes, as if on cue for December 1st, it had snowed, adding to her holiday excitement. She could hardly wait to see the trees in the grove laden in white, but she quietly slipped back under the covers where husband Jack was still softly snoring. She would wait to get up until Jack had stoked the fire in the old cookstove.

Later, once the breakfast dishes were done and the chickens fed, Ina and her youngest child Shirley sat across from one another at the little table near the kitchen stove. And I’m there, too. I can see and hear them, but they can’t see me. They are ghosts in my world, and I am a ghost in theirs. While I watch, they turn their thoughts to planning their traditional Christmas Eve party for family and friends. I’m eager to hear what they have in mind.

Ina begins by listing those who will attend:

·      Herself, husband Jack, and daughters Shirley and Myrtle

·      Her sister Bertha married to Jack’s twin Junius (affectionately called “Aunt” and “Uncle”) and their three children

·      And she would invite Mr. and Mrs. Boehm, who lived a mile distant and were alone

·      and Mrs. Cordell and son Jay

“That makes thirteen in all for dinner on Christmas Eve,” announced Ina. “I’ll invite everyone right away. I’ll roast the beef with plenty of vegetables,” Ina continued, “and we’ll have lettuce sent up from town for a nice green salad. And Aunt will help us, as usual,” she went on. “I’ll ask her to bring the pies – one each of pumpkin and mincemeat will be plenty. I’ll make the dinner rolls.”

“And I’ll decorate the tree and the rooms and set the table,” volunteered Shirley, well knowing that her mother would keep her busy all month long.

Just then I sneezed. “Did you hear something?” asked Shirley.

“Just the wind,” said Ina. “It happens all the time.” KW



2 comments:

Hallie said...

What time do you think they got out of bed on a dark December day? It seems like it would be easy to sleep until at least 7, but I suppose the animals need tending.

Kathy said...

In January of 1936, Grandma Ina wrote: "We are about as usual, sleep late and 'eat hearty.'” I think Grandpa would not have gone to the barn in the dark, and the animals were probably keyed to the light as well. I suspect that sleeping late was a privilege in winter.