Wednesday, December 6, 2023

DAY 6 – ADVENT 2023

TUESDAY WORKDAY REPORT 

Tonight there is a bluish look near the horizon that seems to presage a Chinook. – Ethel Dobson Robinson, December 1936

Yesterday (Tuesday, Dec. 5) was a balmy day. Even at the farm, it warmed into the mid-50s. It was actually a few degrees warmer outside than in the house.

We arrived at the farm in time to meet the plumber at 9:30, but then he called to say he would be late. Mike groaned, but I said, “Great! I have a lot to do.” I do a better job when I have the time to think things through.

First, I emptied the freezer and the fridge. Then I packed certain food items from the pantry cupboard. Next, I went to the attic for the storage bin of Christmas stockings. Then I selected a dozen books – some Christmas, some not – from our bookshelf of children’s books to read with young Silas. And there were odds and ends to pack as well.

“It’s a good thing we came in the pick-up!” remarked Mike, but I was not surprised that we would have a lot to take back to town. Usually when we winterize, we’re in a hurry, and it was a privilege to have the time to systematically pack some extra things we can use in town.

The plumber arrived at 11:30. By 12:30, he had finished pumping antifreeze into our plumbing. We bid him farewell, loaded the last few crates, and left for town, arriving around 2:30.



Bess found her chaise cushions

And then there was more work to put everything away. “But you don’t have to do it today,” suggested Mike. I appreciated the thought, but much of it did have to be done right away. I admit that at some point late afternoon I had had enough.

A visit to the farmhouse is an imaginary visit with Grandma Ina. Today, she was loving this warm late autumn day as she stood beside the old wood cookstove ironing yesterday’s laundry. KW

This card says, "Sent 1945 to Mama," -- from her daughter Myrtle.


1 comment:

Hallie said...

I'm glad it was a good trip!