Friday, April 26, 2024

THE POSTER CHILD FOR PRISON MURDER

Poster Photo -- Milo Warnock

“Who would kill Milo?” asked one of his classmates, an Albertsons employee whom I see frequently.

Who, indeed? Although Milo had a troubled life, Mike and I never envisioned becoming the parents of the poster child for prison murder and thus embarking on a late-life quest for reform.

Yes, we are grieved – but we are also ANGRY. You see, regardless of who Milo was and what he did, he was treated unjustly not only by the justice system but in prison. It was just one horrible downward spiral which Milo was powerless to impact, and we didn’t know what to do.

“I regret that I didn’t try to do more for Milo,” I said to Mike over the supper table one recent evening. “Tell me about it,” he rejoined. Hindsight is 20/20.

“Don’t beat yourself up,” several have said to us. “You probably couldn’t have done anything.”

Well, we could have been more visible, which would have helped Milo. As it was, we were in touch daily.

On the day prior to sentencing, Milo bought an old suit at a thrift store and learned to tie a tie. Before court, he took a selfie in the mirror of a courthouse restroom, which he sent to me. He messaged: “One should look well for his funeral.” Such communications wash over me every day. I feel tears that just refuse to fall.

I have subscribed at the Idaho Justice Project. Who will support such organizations if I (we) don’t? KW

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Is there anything we can do to help you?

Kathy said...

Chuck, please don't worry about me. I want to keep writing about Milo for a while because I don't want his circumstances to be forgotten. As time passes, it's easy to forget what happened -- and to forget that change is warranted.

But this afternoon I have put three rows on the afghan and I'm now quilting my "strawberry" table topper. Our activities are very much as usual.

Thank you for reaching out to me.