Friday, November 30, 2018

ADVENT PRELUDE


In my childhood (the ‘50s), a syndicated serialized story about Santa Claus appeared weekdays in our newspaper during the month of December, from the first until just before Christmas. Mother and I would read that day’s installment before I went to school.

According to online research, these syndicated advent serials were written by journalist Lucrece Beale. The story presented a problem that Santa had to solve in order to meet the Christmas deadline. You can read the history of these delightful serials here – and even some of the stories.


A storywriter I am not, but during December, I make this blog into a countdown to Christmas by posting a new installment every day. My little story is usually based on the Christmas happenings that my grandmother, Ina Dickson Dobson (1870-1958), shared with my dad by letter. I call it fictionalized family history.

Grandma Ina is the ghost in my life. It’s not that I sense her presence, but because we live in her house, I think of her often and wonder if she would be pleased. Unfortunately, she and I never bonded due to the gap between old age and youth, but I’m having fun with her now, and wherever she is, I hope she doesn’t mind.

I write this simple advent project to entertain myself, and hopefully the muse will stay with me until Christmas is here. I don’t know where the story will take me this year because of real-time activities, but rest assured, Ina is happy as she prepares for Christmas in her world. I hope you enjoy this holiday offering. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Looking forward to this year's story! Merry Christmas!

Chuck said...

Me, too.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chuck and Chris.

Hallie said...

You write a fine story!