Sunday, November 25, 2018

GET READY TO GET READY


A beautiful sunrise

We have a whole week and a day between Thanksgiving and the first of December. I love that – more time to enjoy Thanksgiving and more time to get ready for Christmas. And yet, as I look at the Halloween soaps and ceramics on my kitchen windowsill waiting to be carried out to the shed, I wonder if “more time” really matters. (I have now rectified this situation.)

Mike blowing leaves
My plan is that this week, still in November, I will quietly segue into Christmas – put this away, get that out; clean this; shop for that. But this weekend we continue to enjoy Pilgrims and pumpkins.

Speaking of shopping, we went to Home Depot Saturday. At the request of Big Mike the Contractor, we selected a new ceiling fan for the farmhouse dining room as well as new light fixtures for the kitchen. Then we went on to Winco, where grocery shopping was a pleasant experience. I find that the weekend after Thanksgiving is a great time to shop for groceries. I guess after the big Thanksgiving meal, people have plenty of leftover food.

My email is overflowing with offers from my favorite online retailers and even some that aren’t my favorites. My friend Chris, over at Miller’s Last Resort, said she put off buying a design pack she wanted with the result that she bought it – and other items – at a bargain. Unfortunately, I wasn’t so lucky. I was slow to make up my mind only to have several items I wanted sell out. (I just love the “Christmas Truck.” I guess a lot of people do.)

Frost on the rocks
Last Monday, I received an order of yarrow purchased at close-out prices. That bare root stock is going to be vulnerable now that it’s colder, but I couldn't resist the price. When I went to plant that afternoon, I discovered that the ground in the front beds where it's shaded by the house was frozen. I couldn’t dent it. I planted all five plants on the south side of the house where the afternoon sun is warm.
Bess enjoys the warmth of the sun

Sister Joni tells me that yarrow is invasive. I can see that now that I think about it, but I decided I don’t really care. It grows in clumps that are easy enough to remove, and we’re pleased when plants establish themselves and spread, both in town and at the farm. KW




1 comment:

Chris said...

I'm with you. I'll leave our fall things up until the end of this month and then slowly get out the Christmas things. I always start with the quilts because they are easiest to get to, stored on shelves in the closet in the boys' room. Then I just kinda get on a roll from there. I hate to hurry Thanksgiving, it seems to get the bum's rush these days.

Sounds like things are firming up at the farm!