Tuesday, November 27, 2018

T’IS THE SEASON . . . TO SHOP


My email has been loaded with enticements to buy:
“Black Friday”
“Small Business Saturday”
“Cyber Monday”
“Cyber Week”
 “Get it today”
“Last chance”
“Take a second look”
“Hurry – don’t miss out”

Frankly, I didn’t think the “Black Friday / Cyber Monday” deals were all that good this year, but to be charitable, perhaps times aren’t all that good for retailers, especially the smaller businesses. The deal is not that sweet at 10, 15, or 20%. 25% and free shipping is worth a look. I'm irked by the teaser, “free shipping,” which in the fine print turns out to be “on condition that you buy $65, $85, or $100.” That tacky practice reduces several “upscale” retailers in my estimation.

I like to buy what inspires me – something that will brighten my day when delivered, so I bought a little fabric and some sewing notions. And downloading is addictive, too, so I bought a few patterns.

I thought about buying a new holiday sweatshirt, but so far, I’ve resisted. I’m particular about the design I wear on my front. Dachshunds in Santa hats? No thanks. Penguins? Not a fan. Reindeer in white on dark green. Not pretty. Cardinals? Meaningless to me. And besides, though nothing replaces the variety we see online, I still like to see – and feel – before I buy. I like knit pajamas, so every year I buy a new set at the local nameless mart for about $12. They work just fine, thank you. Do they last? I still have all of them, including the first set I bought five years ago. And I also bought a shirt for $5.00 at the same nameless mart on which I’ll attempt to embroider a favorite design. If it doesn’t work – and it might not – I can repurpose the remaining fabric. It’s a plan!

Perhaps if I were buying toys, electronics, and gifts, I’d be more excited about the sales, but we no longer celebrate Christmas in that way.
 
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Cyber Monday Extended!



And it’s good to remember – there’s always another sale – always, even today. It's not over when it's over, regardless of what they say. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

My inbox is full!! I feel so popular!! NOT! LOL So many "offers", and I know there'll be more tomorrow, and next week, and so on. I do shop online, and back when I was teaching, I would panic realizing that Christmas was just weeks away, and spend my lunch hours, sandwich in one hand, shopping away, d&#! the shipping costs, just get it here by Christmas!

We buy much less now, and grandchildren, except for Daniel, are beyond toys, so more thinking is required. And those things are not usually on sale. I refuse to buy grandchildren clothes unless it's something like a longed-for sports jersey. :)

Kathy said...

A thoughtful gift is a thing of joy, but we're practically beyond the ability to do it, especially with the young. We send monetary gifts to the grandchildren. If we were with them, I'd feel differently about it, but since we don't see them, we send a check and let them shop for what they want after Christmas. We top that off with an edible gift to each family.

I agree about the clothes. If it's what they want, fine.

M/W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chuck said...

Chuck says: I did see an in-store ad for a 55 - inch TV for sale at $298. Electronics have come way down this year--if you need electronics. We don't. Don't have much need for anything. Some edibles are fine, tho some of them raise havoc with my diet. Good luck with your hunting.

Chris said...

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed all your Christmas photos on this post!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I enjoy sharing the images of vintage cards.