Sunday, November 4, 2018

ANOTHER BATTLE IN THE GREAT RODENT WAR


An autumn day -- clearing after the rain
Last year we had at least one mouse under the kitchen sink in this modular home. I cleaned it thoroughly, then set a trap and also left a block of poison in the back behind my cleaning supplies. I kept an eye on the trap center until finally I more or less forgot about it . . . until this morning, that is.

Cleaning under the sink
As I got ready to run the dishwasher, my nostrils were assailed when I opened the cupboard to get the detergent. I really wanted to dismiss it as silver polish, but wisdom prevailed, and I discovered that indeed, we had a mouse in trap. It had been there a while – both living and dead. I apprised Mike (who was watching football) of the situation. With a twinkle in his eye, he advised me to bundle it in plastic and toss – so I did. Then I made a sinkful of hot soapy water and cleaned everything in that cupboard. (Actually, my under-the-sink cupboard is one of my cleanest.)

"I don't smell anything."
"Neither do I."

And I tell you something else – We have two hunting dogs in this house, and they both hunt rodents in the field, but do you think they showed any interest? No! The dogs slept on. I mean, my nose told me, so they had to know

Soon I'll be finishing a doll dress in my sewing room. This evening? -- a little shopping for a reward or two. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Nooo!! Hopefully no more will show up. I kinda worry about them now that we don't have Buddy anymore, but hopefully the neighbor's cats will keep them away. Did you get your shopping done? :-)

Kathy said...

I think there will be another when I least expect it. I hate when they get into my sewing room. They don't find food there -- just lots of fluffy stuff for the nests.

No, I didn't shop. I was going to order some embroidery designs -- the latest special deal, you know, but in the end I didn't. There will be another day, another sale, and something I really want.

Hallie said...

Those darn rodents! And the bird dogs should be ashamed!