Wednesday, December 12, 2018

DAY 12 -- ANOTHER SKIMPY CHRISTMAS WITH INA



We are having such a mild winter and now have only a few inches of snow and lots of bare ground. We need lots of snow or rain. -- Ina


Though breezy, it was a nice bright day. Ethel spent the morning sewing while Ina baked bread and did housework. It was just an ordinary day at the farmhouse until time for Ethel to go to the school house for play practice. She carried several costumes with her and was pleased with the fittings. All-in-all, the practice went well.

Ernest also appreciated the good day, though his work to make a cistern near the kitchen door was on the north side of the house and shaded from the sun. And Jack took advantage of the sunny day to make some little repairs to the barn and outbuildings.
Mid-afternoon, Jack hitched the wagon and went to the school to fetch Ethel and Sadie. At the mailbox, they found another batch of Christmas cards. As soon as the supper dishes were done – and Sadie made sure to do her part quickly – the family gathered again to read and enjoy the cards and letters. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

Do you know the time frame of the cards you are featuring in the photos? They look early twentieth century. So special!

Kathy said...

I would just call them mid-20th century, I guess. I started with some my dad saved in 1946. Now I collect old cards, buying from Etsy sellers -- a packet or two a year. I try for the '30s and '40s and not later than the early '50s, if I can help it. They come without envelopes, though, so I don't really know the time periods. Of course, my main interest is to scan them for the blog, but I do keep the cards -- easy, since they don't take up a lot of space.

Kathy said...

Oh! I do have some cards, especially postcards, from the early 20th century. Mother and Daddy both had a few cards from their childhoods, and then I have a few reproductions. I just wasn't thinking about those in my previous response.

Hallie said...

I just love that Season’s Greetings card. Very effective. The colors of the first one seem very 20s or 30s to me. I’m no expert but I’ve seen the pinks and greens together as I’ve researched the era for our house projects.

Kathy said...

I buy these cards in batches, and I think they tend to be a mix of the decades. I'm not an expert either. I'm glad you like the Season's Greetings card because I think I've posted it several times. I have plenty of images to draw from, but I don't always remember the ones I've already posted. It doesn't matter to me.