Monday, December 3, 2018

Day 3 -- ANOTHER SKIMPY CHRISTMAS WITH INA



I forgot to tell anyone it would be a “skimpy Christmas.” I’m expecting a good time. I wish you’d come over. – Ina

“But, to come back to Christmas again,” read Ina to Ethel and Sadie the next evening, as once again they snuggled together before the blazing fire. “I think the best time I ever had working for that especial time was that very first Christmas at Gilbert when those little evergreens inspired me to attempt another something out of nothing. I enlisted little sister Mabel’s interests, and we put in all those long, long afternoons and evenings that otherwise would have hung heavy on our hands doing things for the little folks. Remember how it surprised you and Bertha and how after we had come and gone, tramping through the snow, Jack had you light the lamp again and together you inspected our handiwork. I think there were some funny-shaped eats in there, too, weren’t there? Well, anyway, it pleased all the biddies, and the way you four Dobsons looked when we presented our trees was pay in plenty.
 
“And last but not least,” Ida concluded, “you kept all those old Christmas things from the ‘gulch’ for some time. I want to see them.”

“And that’s all Aunt Ida writes about Christmas,” said Ina.

“That’s a terrific letter, isn’t it, Gram,” asked little Sadie. “Tell me about the first Christmas here at the farm? Did it happen just the way Aunt Ida said?”

“Yes, indeed it did,” said Ina. “Grandpa Jack and I and Uncle June and Aunt Bertha were living together in a little cabin down in the draw. We didn’t have a tree or gifts. It was enough that we were starting a new life in this place. And Aunt Ida and Uncle Ed lived nearby, together with my ma and pa. Uncle Ed didn’t like the homesteading way of life, so he sold his farm in 1901 and moved his family to Drain, Oregon. Ma and Pa left with them.”

“But you did like it here, didn’t you Gram?” asked Sadie.

“Yes, your grandpa and I loved this place and wanted to stay,” Ina assured her. And then, not wanting the child to see how much it hurt when they left, Ina quickly announced that bedtime had come once again. KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Yes, I think it would have been less fun when people left. I’m sure having a community and the ability to help each other out with both labor and emotional support made it bearable. It would have been hard to be cold in the winter and possibly without water?!

Kathy said...

Ida Dickson Patchen, Ina's sister, enjoyed writing. Her granddaughter, my second cousin, sent a copy of Ida's diary of the days when they packed up and left Gilbert. Ina followed as far as she could. They knew she was upset, Ida said, because she talked non-stop. (Silly, ain't I, but I'm about to cry.)

They went to a spring for water, so it's possible there wasn't much available if / when it froze.

Chris said...

Having family near is such a blessing. I'm glad Ina and Jack still had June and Bertha!