Tuesday, December 4, 2018

DAY 4 -- ANOTHER SKIMPY CHRISTMAS WITH INA


 There were children to the right of me and children to the left of me, north, south, east and west, and though they didn’t “bay and thunder,” they charged the lonely Christmas idea with such skill and loyalty that it was dispelled as a mist before the sun. We had a lovely time, not only that day but beforehand. -- Ina



Ethel insisted upon walking Sadie at least partway to and from school every day. Ina thought that a bit silly, but Ethel wanted the exercise, she said, and she also thought it wise to give Ina some time to herself and a break from the chatter.

Yesterday afternoon, Sadie delivered a note to Ethel from Miss Johnson, her teacher. “Please see me after school tomorrow,” the teacher wrote, “to discuss the Christmas pageant.”

As Jack had predicted, it had turned cold, and the temperature wasn’t much above freezing. Mid-afternoon, Ethel bundled up and headed for the schoolhouse, walking briskly. Miss Johnson greeted her cordially and invited her to sit in one of the front desks, evoking memories of her student days.
A picture of the Dickson School, Gilbert, Idaho

“Mrs. Robinson,” Miss Johnson began, “last year I had an idea that our Christmas play could be a “gingerbread pageant,” and I would like to develop this idea further this year. I wonder if you would help.”

“Why, yes” Ethel responded hesitantly. “And if need be, I’m sure my mother and Aunt Bertha would be happy to help as well. But Miss Johnson, exactly what is a ‘gingerbread pageant.’”

Dickson School, 1912
“That’s just it,” said Miss Johnson. “I don’t really know myself. In my imagination, I see the children dressed as gingerbread boys and girls, and I think refreshments might include gingerbread cookies and cakes. Beyond that, I’m not sure. Do you think you could help me?”

Ethel felt it was a daunting task to take on someone else's imaginary world, but on the other hand, surely they could work up some sort of program. Yes! They could – and they would. And Ethel volunteered to come to the schoolhouse to help with rehearsals. She had a good alto voice and loved to sing.

“I’ll get started right away,” Ethel agreed. And then they excitedly discussed ideas for the play, the costumes, and the refreshments. Miss Johnson agreed to find recitations and songs. Ethel said she would make costumes for the students and organize the refreshments. KW

 [In the second picture of the Dickson School, 1912, Vance Dobson (my dad) is fourth from the left in the front row. Ethel Dobson stands in the second row directly behind the 6th child in the front row.]

3 comments:

Chris said...

I looked at the photo before I read who was who, and recognized your dad right off!

Chris said...

And forgot to say that Ethel had those beautiful eyes even then. I'm smiling right now, remembering them sitting out on their porch so many days when you and I would walk by on our way to and from school.

M/W said...

Yes, I immediately recognized Vance as well. He reminds me of Kathy in pictures of her at about that age.