Sunday, February 24, 2019

PORTABLE HAND MIXER


Snowing as I post this

My friend Chris is a pied piper of appliances. When she gets something new, her enthusiasm is so infectious that I will follow her right to the store. I’m thinking of the Cuisinart food processor, Instant Pot, and Brother PE770 embroidery machine. Oh, she never steers me wrong. It’s always great stuff!

Black & Decker Performance Helix Hand Mixer
Recently, though, I did my own thinking and bought a portable hand mixer. When Mike and I were married, our blended appliances included two portable hand mixers. His was white while mine was avocado green, but because we had a stand mixer, I rarely used the portables and eventually got rid of them. Fast forward 43 years, and now it seems sorta silly to use that big stand mixer to beat a small cake or a couple of eggs. And sometimes I need two mixtures at once, as for Mystery Pecan Pie, and then I’m juggling the mixer bowl. In an “aha” moment, I realized a hand mixer would meet the need and be cheaper than a second mixer bowl.

“Good,” said Mike. “They don’t cost much. Get one.”

Container keeps mixer and accessories together and upright
So, when we were at Walmart the other day, I made my selection. True to form, I had no idea which would be best, so I selected by price – a middle-of-the-road Black and Decker Turbo Mixer. As soon as we got home, Mike took it out of the box and set it up, anxious for me to try it out. I don’t expect to use it much, but it should be used early on so that we can return within 30 days if something is wrong with it. I did use it to mix a little cake batter the other day, and it worked fine. It’s only going to see light duty, and I have every confidence it will be fine.

Another winter storm is predicted. It’s snowing and blowing now at 31 degrees. KW



6 comments:

M/W said...

I guess when I said "They don't cost much" I was living in the past. I was thinking $15 max. Wrong.

Chris said...

LOL Mike! Does anything cost $15 anymore? I've always kept a hand mixer. Like you, Kathy, mine was avocado green, a wedding gift, and when it no longer could keep its beaters in, I got a Kitchenaid in white. I use it when I need to whip egg whites or make frosting. Hope you enjoy your new one!

Kathy said...

Slow cookers are still fairly inexpensive. Mike's concept of monetary value is often in the past, and sometimes I'm not much better. For instance, it's still a shock to me what they want for a box of Jello these days.

Chris said...

I don't buy jello, but the price of cars?? Way, way, way more than our first house!!

Hallie said...

We have a food processor and an immersion blender, but not a proper mixer. However, Nick and I both have gotten caught up in The Great British Baking Show and are thinking that after the kitchen remodel we'd like to get a proper mixer and do some baking. Stay tuned!

Kathy said...

Sister Harriet, raising her family in the '50s / '60s, said that she served Jello instead of ice cream at birthday parties because they couldn't afford ice cream. At the price of Jello today, make mine ice cream! I do buy Jello on occasion for raspberry pretzel salad, Dr. Pepper salad, "A ribbon runs through it" cake, etc.

If you're going to compete with The Great British Baking Show contestants, you will for sure need a proper mixer.

Last night I made brownies which I mixed with the hand mixer. Son Clint said that while the directions say just to stir with a spoon, he likes them better if mixed. I might not have bothered, but I want to use the mixer.