Tuesday, February 19, 2019

PRESIDENTS DAY


No Business Transacted poster - 3g12934u.jpg
Image from Wikipedia
When I was growing up, we didn’t have designated Monday holidays. My research shows that the Uniform Monday Holiday Act did not take effect until Jan. 1, 1971, which was about the time I was finishing college. Anyone born after the mid-1960s doesn’t remember when we didn’t celebrate most every holiday by means of a 3-day weekend. This recollection slips a little more from collective memory with each passing year.

Yesterday was Presidents’ Day, a Monday holiday giving some workers a three-day weekend, but when I was in elementary school, we celebrated Lincoln’s birthday on Feb. 12 and Washington’s birthday on Feb. 22. I remember considerable focus on both Lincoln and Washington in February. Discussion and art projects were based on the lives of these famous presidents. Bulletin boards were decorated with Lincoln / Washington symbols, such as a "stovepipe" hat for Lincoln and cherry trees (hatchets?) for Washington. We did not have those days off but rather focused on the historical meaning of the day at school as our shared heritage. [Actually, the history of Presidents Day as a three-day holiday is more complex than I care to discuss here, but you can read about it at this link.]

I can’t say how it is in the schools today, but I rather think it’s different now, and who am I to say whether that’s good or bad. Now we know that “Washington chopping down the cherry tree” was likely a myth, and so we don’t know whether he told lies or not, but somehow I love that old familiar tale. And I rather think that Martin Luther King Day overshadows Lincoln’s birthday -- Lincoln, who would walk miles to right a wrong.

Over the weekend, I tried in vain to find television programming on a president – any president. I did learn that for whatever reason, there is no movie based on George Washington. Well, be that as it may, we do have presidential documentaries, and I couldn’t even find those. (Yes, I know, I can watch practically anything anytime on my computer screen. I just didn’t want to do it that way.)

As retired people, we barely notice a Monday holiday in our world. Mike tried to call Regence yesterday and was taken aback to receive a “we’re closed today” message. I explained that it was Presidents Day, a legal holiday, and he was incredulous that some businesses were closed, and even more, that we wouldn’t get mail. (Getting our junk mail out of the box is always a highlight of our day.) Later in the afternoon, as Mike was mounting his motorcycle to visit the library, it suddenly occurred to him that he should check to be sure they were open. That was good – because all regional libraries were closed. I suggested he ride someplace else, but he said it was too cold to ride for fun. He backed his motorcycle into the garage and removed his helmet. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

I remember making Lincoln's hat and construction paper hatchets. Between Valentine's Day and Lincoln and Washington's birthdays, we were busy little artists! Oh, and log cabins! I remember being in charge of decorating the long bulletin board over the chalk board in one grade and making log cabins with snow on the roofs to line it.

Kathy said...

Great memories. There was a big bulletin board near the door, too, and one at the top of the hall. Seems like the teachers rotated decorating that one, taking care to see that it was special.

Hallie said...

It seems like companies either observe MLK Jr. Day in January OR Presidents' Day in February, but rarely both. And as a worker, we now go into the dry spell where we don't get a three day weekend until the end of May. I intend to take a three day weekend each month on my own. It really does give quite a nice mental boost to have that extra day of relaxation.

Kathy said...

Yes, as an employee of the state, I remember that the bulk of the holidays fall between Labor Day and Presidents Day. We didn't look forward to the dry spell until Memorial Day. It's really rather odd that we don't find some excuse to have at least one more federal holiday during the warm months of summer.