Saturday, February 16, 2019

QUIET WINTER DAYS


We can’t help it, you know. It’s winter. Activities are curtailed, and life is routine. Most days, Mike and I retire to the back rooms – he to his office and I to my sewing room, which we heat with space heaters. He and Bess go outside several times a day, while Nellie and I are happy if we go once for a constitutional around the neighborhood. On the last leg of our walk, the downhill side, Nellie trots faster, and I imagine that she is spurred on by the thought of the warm house.

The snow that accumulated earlier this week is gone except for the piles that are slower to melt. And now it looks like this next week will be colder again – highs in the 30s, lows in the 20s. We don’t anticipate the accumulation of snow in the valley. 
 

Big Mike the Contractor called the other day. He’s anxious to finish a few tasks at the farmhouse, but I discouraged his going until – well, until spring. If he can make it to the lane, he might encounter drifted snow, and if it isn’t snow it will be mud until the sunshine of spring warms the ground – probably in four to six weeks, regardless of what the Groundhog said.

The photos here are of two little dresses I made for the American Girl mini doll. The pattern is simple, but it took me several hours to make each one, and then a couple more hours to remake them because I thought they were too big. In other words, days passed as I worked on these little dresses. Well, that’s the reason the creative works don’t flow from my sewing room. KW



2 comments:

Chris said...

I can never quite figure out why those little dresses take so long to make, but the fact is, they do. But oh so cute when they're done!

Kathy said...

Yes, sewing for dolls is not child's play, as we know. As a hobby, I enjoy it because, as you point out, Chris, the end product is cute. Many adults sew for dolls -- mostly women but also some men. And while some dolls fall outside the standard patterns, for the most part we don't have to alter, which leaves us free to enjoy blending fabrics and embellishing.