Saturday, February 2, 2019

TROUBLESHOOTING THE DISHWASHER




Four years ago, we bought a new dishwasher to replace the low-end GE that came with this modular home. Having had good luck with Sears appliances in the past, we bought a Kenmore Elite (Whirlpool) at our local Sears appliance store. Once I began to work with it, I appreciated that it ran quietly, but otherwise it seems to lack power. Short of two years, the pump went out, and two repair persons said it was because I used soap packs. The repair cost $260, and while it seemed to solve the immediate problem, I was still unimpressed with its laziness. I resolved that I would not put more money into it AND that I would not put up with it forever.

Last week I reached the end of my rope. If I didn’t hand wash a dish before I put it into the machine, I had to hand wash it when I took it out. “That’s it!” I announced to Mike and the dogs. “Until this dishwasher is replaced, I’m washing the dishes by hand.” (I’m well-familiar with the method, having received early and extensive training.)

And then I went out on a dishwasher fact-finding mission, but just as you can’t judge a book by its cover, you can’t judge a dishwasher by its appearance. How am I supposed to know which is good and which isn’t? When the sales rep asked me what features I wanted, I said one that would get my dishes clean. There sat a Whirlpool looking just like mine, so I said I didn’t want that one.

Back at home, I decided I owed it to our investment in the Kenmore to troubleshoot it again. I found a video produced by Sears, where Wayne from PartsDirect tries to convince me that getting my dishwasher to clean the dishes is simply a matter of loading it correctly, changing detergent brands, or cleaning the filter. The intro says:
Dishwasher Not Cleaning Dishes? All the Easy Fixes You Need to Know
If you're running the dishwasher, and dishes are still coming out a little dirty, don't stress. There's no need to buy a new machine or start washing dishes by hand. First, make sure the appliance isn't overloaded. Without enough space between items, the soapy water won't be able to move freely.

If that isn't the problem, then it might be something mechanical. Our friends at Sears PartsDirect have some easy tips and fixes to whip your dishwasher back into shape.

How funny! It’s as if Sears is responding right to me, Mrs. Mike Q. Homemaker, but I know they didn’t make the video just for my benefit. 
Handy-dandy sponge cleans dishes
With the video playing on Mike’s tablet, the two of us checked out the dishwasher. We cleaned the arms, cleaned the filter, checked the water level, and tested the water temp at the tap. Other suggestions were to change the detergent or run Dishwasher Magic. If it’s none of these little things, don’t be discouraged. It’s probably just the water intake valve, the heating element, the pump, etc. The implication is that I can diagnose, order the part, and fix it myself, making this lemon into a perfect machine.

As of this writing, the dishes do seem to come out cleaner, but the results are inconclusive. And I know from experience that Sears doesn’t care anyway. I have nostalgic feelings for Sears, but it’s time for them to go. KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Good for you! I bought my clothes washer parts from Sears Parts Direct. I hope you can find the conclusive issue.

Kathy said...

I read a forum this morning that describes what I believe is the issue with this dishwasher. It gets water but doesn't pump through the arms with enough force to clean the dishes. And this has been the case ever since we got it, though it may be worse now. Bottom line: replace it because it isn't feasible to fix it. But -- we need to make sure it's the dishwasher and not a problem with out line.

Trying to talk to Sears about a specific appliance purchase is like beating your head against a wall, but Sears PartsDirect is courteous and helpful.

Chris said...

Oh no!! (I need to go tell Brunhilda that I love her again!)