Thursday, December 12, 2019

DAY 12 -- INA AND SADIE'S EXCELLENT FARMHOUSE CHRISTMAS


This was an ordinary December day. Once Ina had set her bread, she went to the cellar for apples and made applesauce. Supper would be simple tonight – just milk toast, And she knew the applesauce would be appreciated as dessert.



I remember once – (I’ve told this story before, but I only have so many real stories in my repertoire.) Anyway, I remember that after a day of hard work at the farm, my mother said to my dad, “You know what I’ve been thinking about? – milk toast for supper.” And my dad said, “I was just thinking about that, too!” So, much to my disappointment, we had milk toast for supper.


In retrospect, it was an indication that my parents came from the same era and the same type of practices. When everyone, including the cook, was tired, they had milk toast for supper. And I imagine the bread was spread with home-churned butter, toasted in the oven, then cubed. The milk was good and rich -- maybe even cream. No one could opt out of the meal, but you were allowed to put sugar and cinnamon on it. (It didn’t help much.)


View 1 - flap obscures message
I didn’t dare complain, and Sadie knew better than to complain, too. Gram was a goodhearted soul, but it was her way or no way, and Sadie knew it. You just didn’t refuse to eat the meal your grandmother provided for you. And Christmas was coming. Best not to make waves – just in case.

They received just a few cards today, so Sadie suggested they look through Gram’s collection. The oldest cards were just flat cardboard. Sadie loved to read the messages aloud to Gram, and then Gram would tell her about the friend or relative who signed the card.

View 2 -- Message
All too soon it was time for bed, and Ina climbed the stairs with the sleepy child. She had already placed a hot water bottle under the covers near the pillow, and now she pushed it down a bit so that it would warm Sadie’s feet. It was cold outside, and cold inside, too. It seems strange today, but I remember my mother climbing a different set of stairs with me to my cold second story bedroom and taking care of my bed in just this way. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

You know, I really have no idea what milk toast tastes like. Unbaked bread pudding? Apparently your parents liked it though.

Kathy said...

Well, bread pudding would have more sugar, egg, and maybe raisins. I have a recipe that layers in some applesauce, and I like that. Milk toast is really very bland.

Milk toast is really bland, but I also think it was fairly rich in its original state on the farm. I remember having it several times as I grew up, so yes, it evidently hit the spot for my parents. It's just another one of those things that quietly passes from the scene.

Hallie said...

I think I would put a little cinnamon on this milk toast concoction.

I got a hot water bottle recently and I used it last night. It is very effective! It quickly warms my side of the bed and then I push it over to Nick's side because he likes to sleep hot. It stays warm all through the night.

Kathy said...

I'll tell you what milk toast (or bread and milk) is like -- soggy bread. That's it! -- soggy bread. It's the texture as much as the taste that's unappealing to me. And yes, cinnamon would help, but it's still going to be soggy.

A hot water bottle provides good heat. Mike bought one recently, too, for use on trips. He was glad he had it.