Saturday, December 21, 2019

DAY 21 -- INA AND SADIE'S EXCELLENT FARMHOUSE CHRISTMAS


With school out for the holidays, Shirley at home for the coming week, the anticipation of Ethel and Ernest’s arrival – and last but not least, the snow – it really seemed like Christmas to Ina. But – there was much to be done yet, and she delegated the work.

A card from the school
After the “girls” – Shirley and Sadie – finished the breakfast dishes, they went out to feed the chickens and gather the eggs. Next, Ina assigned them the dusting. Sadie did the low places and surfaces while Shirley dusted over the doors and mopped the floors. Ina wanted everything spit-spot for Christmas, as if it wasn’t already.

Meanwhile, Ina finished packing the last of her boxes, and Jack carried them out to the mailbox, coming back with many cards and a box from son Earle and Bernice. Since it was Saturday, the four of them sat right down to a plate of frosted ginger cookies and milk or coffee and opened the cards, sharing the messages and the Christmas views.

In real time, can you believe the high for the day was 57? I made my last pre-Christmas shopping trip this morning – to Albertson’s – and since I was right there at JoAnn’s, I went in. I wasn't going to, but why not? I had thought they were out of Christmas wreaths, but I found a bin of them marked down and bought one. Heretofore, I’ve insisted on a “real” wreath for the farmhouse door, but I was not impressed with the price or the quality of this year’s evergreen offerings, and this wreath should serve us well for years.

In 1932, Ina’s family gifted her with a radio, and they were so glad to have it. The outside world came alive for them. It must have seemed like instant communication to folks who received newspapers in the mail. Of course, technology has come light years, and in my kitchen, I have “Alexa,” courtesy of our daughter. Alexa has dutifully played Christmas playlists for me this season, but one song I never hear is “Christmas in Killarney.” Having a hankering to hear it, I took a chance and said, “Alexa, play “Christmas in Killarney,” and she did! – Bing Crosby’s rendition.

And when it was over, Alexa said, “By the way, if you’d like to keep it going and hear more songs like this, just say, ‘play more like this.’”

Easter -- here before we know it!


“Alexa, play more like this,” I said, and Alexa played Bing Crosby singing “Easter Parade.” KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

Oh, Alexa! A flaw in the program.

Uncle Chuck: I beat you to this one! ;)

Kathy said...

Well, she got the Bing Crosby part right. And like I said, you never hear "Christmas in Killarny," so Alexa might not have recognized it as a Christmas song. However, it does have "Christmas in the title."

Chuck said...

You're a sly one, Hallie. Have a Merry Christmas, everyone.

Chris said...

Oh, that is hilarious!! I love Anne Murray's rendition of "Christmas in Killarny", but I'm still listening to it on my iPod. :-)

Kathy said...

I'm not sure I know Anne Murray's rendition, but Dennis Day's is good, too.

I remember when Dan gave you your iPod. I still love my Nano. It has served me well.