Wednesday, December 4, 2019

DAY 4 – INA AND SADIE’S EXCELLENT FARMHOUSE CHRISTMAS





I forgot to tell anyone it would be a ‘skimpy Xmas.’ – Ina Dobson, 1934

Living on the farm, Ina had only the Christmas she made, and providing a good Christmas for family and friends rested heavily on her shoulders. But – she loved Christmas and wouldn’t think of forfeiting the privilege of providing for others. It was always a skimpy Christmas with everyone well remembered.  


Sadie was still reading the little cookbook and enjoying the illustrations.

“Gram, are you tired,” asked Sadie.
“I’m busy writing my Christmas cards and letters, but I’m not tired,” answered Ina, a trifle impatient with the interruption. If only she could be left alone …

“It says here,” Sadie went on, oblivious of Ina’s mood, “that ‘If Mother is tired from writing Christmas cards, why don’t you fix your own lunch?’ And on page 37, it shows a lot of different sandwiches spread with peanut butter. Gram, may I fix lunch?”

“What are some examples of the peanut butter sandwiches,” Ina wanted to know.

Here are just a few of the 15 recipes Sadie read from the cookbook:
Spread peanut butter on bread. Put slice of ham in between.
Spread peanut butter on date-nut bread. Put cream cheese in between. Spread peanut butter on bread. Put deviled ham in between.
Spread peanut butter on rye bread. Put crisp bacon in between.
Spread peanut butter on bread. Put mayonnaise and sliced bananas in between.

It had taken five precious minutes for Sadie to read the list of peanut butter sandwiches. Ina, who liked her peanut butter plain or mixed with regular butter, was unimpressed but not willing to discourage the child. “Which kind of peanut butter sandwich would you like to make,” she asked.

“Well, I think I’d just like peanut butter and elderberry jelly,” answered Sadie. “If you would slice the bread for me, I could make sandwiches for Gramps, you, and me.”

So, it was agreed. Ina sliced the freshly baked bread, and Sadie made the sandwiches, taking care to make Ina’s without jelly. Soon Gramps came in, and the three of them sat happily at the little table in the kitchen eating peanut butter sandwiches and washing them down with fresh milk. Sadie was so happy! And Ina and Jack were happy, too.

P.S. They also had apple slices prepared by Ina because she wouldn’t let little Sadie use the sharp knife. KW

[The images are drawing of Thomas Nast.]


3 comments:

Chuck said...

I noticed the little girls have very plump cheeks. That must be how he envisioned them.

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck!
From what I've read, Nast's own children were models for the children. He evidently patterned Santa on himself, and I think I see the resemblance in the children.

Thanks for your comment.

Hallie said...

Nast must have been wealthy to have had such a well fed family.

We are not allowed peanut butter at school due to someone's allergy, so I sometimes have an almond butter sandwich instead. It is not the same.