Thursday, January 21, 2021

2021 -- AND ACCOMPLISHMENT COMES SLOWLY

 Santa brought me a two-pair set of holiday socks. “You do like holiday socks, don’t you,” asked Daughter Hallie. I assured her I do, but I didn’t tell her that I could hardly wait to cut them up. I love them because they make such cute doll sweaters, like the one pictured here, which I just finished. I have a growing stash of socks that I just love!

And speaking of stash, the one thing I have accomplished so far in 2021 was to organize my stash of yarn and crochet thread by weight (or type). I pulled yarn from here, there, and everywhere and sorted it into categorized storage bins. Then I’d find more yarn and have to swap the bins around in order to accommodate it all. And in the process, I eliminated quite a lot of yarn.

Sellers encourage makers to use scraps of fabric and yarn, and I had planned that one day I would make another scrap afghan, but you know, the prettiest ones are mathematically ordered and color-coordinated, and not all yarns and colors belong on the same afghan. And then, the scraps are never enough, so you have to buy more, and this is what retailers hope you’ll do, of course. And buying more is fraught with problems because yarns and colors come and go, change over the years, and are even discontinued. And if you have to buy more to finish your project, you’re bound to have some left over. Thus, the stash cycle is self-perpetuating. 

So, in the end, it seemed best to donate some of my excess yarn. I know someone who knows someone who belongs to a group that crochets and donates what they make to those in need. The group is appreciative of donated yarn, so I am happy to have contributed to a worthy cause. After all, some of my yarn came from my mother’s stash – and how many years have I hoarded it? (The answer is 30.)

But don’t think I’ve finished crocheting. Far from it! There’s more yarn out there, and I want some of it! KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

You may cut into those socks without guilt! They were a Goodwill find—new, and probably excess donated by a retailer from the year before. I got a deal!

Kathy said...

LOL. I watch for deals on socks. They just make the cutest doll sweaters. I used to wear them, but the ribbing at the top is too tight on my calves. I remember your Grandma Bennie scolding her sister, Aunt Doris, for wearing knee-high socks. Not good for your circulation. Fortunately, I have another use for those lovely socks.

Chris said...

That sweater is so cute!! You are a pro at making those sweaters. I have a ton of Christmas socks, just fold down the tops and wear them. It works for me.

Kathy said...

I don't even want to hear that there's a way I can wear those socks. LOL. I choose them with doll sweaters in mind.