Friday, January 1, 2021

A NEW YEAR, A NEW WALL CALENDAR

HAPPY NEW YEAR

This is the day when we must hang new calendars on the walls in the kitchen, Mike’s office, and my sewing room. In my estimation, no device takes the place of a good wall calendar.

Mike and I support a few non-profit organizations, and through those donations, we receive not one, not two, but twenty wall calendars every year. We even get wall calendars from organizations we don’t support. Sometimes an organization will send us several calendar mailings. It wouldn’t be so bad except that I don’t want those calendars, but because we receive these freebies, it makes it hard to justify spending for the themed calendar of my choosing. I should have what I want, right? But it always comes up. “Why did you buy this calendar when we have all these free calendars?”

So, in the process of writing this post, I decided I really should buy the calendar I want, but I discovered I don’t know what I want – and I can’t believe the price! -- $15 to $20 for your better calendars. “Free with donation” looks better and better all the time. KW

 

8 comments:

Chris said...

I love the Lang calendars and Dan has gotten me one for Christmas for years and years. Back in the last century, he got me Magnum P.I. calendars and I loved them. :-) Then we moved up here and I fell in love with the aforesaid Lang calendars and he got me ones by an artist whose name I've forgotten. Then she quit about the time I discovered Susan Winget whose work I loved even more. I say, no matter the cost, hang one that makes you smile!

Kathy said...

I have a plethora of Marjolein Bastin engagement calendars. She was published through Hallmark and then I followed her to Lang. These things are time sensitive -- throwaways in the end. I love them anyway. But thanks for the encouragement. I'll consider what you say.

Chris said...

Well, would it interest you to know that I still have all those calendars? I do. I love looking back at the ones when Matt and Ann were little and I had no time for a diary. Instead I wrote on those calendars. First words, new food, new teeth. and so on. Even the newer ones I have kept because you never know when one might want to frame a picture or take a picture and use it for an illustration of some sort.

Kathy said...

Yes, it does interest me to know that you continue to enjoy your calendars. I was thinking of throwing mine away, but you are right that the pages continue to be interesting. In fact, I have even considered re-using some of them if the days are in line with the current year.

I buy an engagement calendar every year. This year's is Katie Daisy, whoever that is. I mean to use them as a kind of diary, as you describe, but somehow I forget. Mother started me on keeping a diary when I was quite young. She kept a diary for years.

The first of every year I write goals and unfinished projects into that engagement calendar. I don't pay much attention to it, but I think it helps anyway.

Anyway, I'm still shopping for a calendar. I'll comment when I make my selection.

Kathy said...

I ordered the Mary Engelbreit 2021 wall calendar "Back to the Drawing Board." The price was right, and I know the colors and themes will be right for my sewing room.

Chris said...

Perfect!!

Hallie said...

Chris made a point that I was going to say--calendars are art! And for a mere $1 - $2 a month, your spirit can be lifted by its beauty.

Kathy said...

Great thought, Hallie! The Mary Engelbreit calendar came today.