Sunday, January 3, 2021

POST-CHRISTMAS PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT

See what I mean? -- a real mess.

I took our Christmas tree down on Saturday, Jan. 2. I had intended to wait a few more days because I really enjoyed the tree this year, but I found myself thinking that it was something I could do and then it would be done. I’m trying to move on with my projects and meeting with some mental resistance, perhaps because organizing my sewing room is real work! In a sense I have taken on more than I can do – AND I want to do more! But – I can’t do anything until I’ve cleaned up that mess. “One step at a time,” I tell myself.

If you’re a holiday crafter, especially for autumn and winter, you have to keep in mind that these holidays will again be upon us, sooner rather than later. Chris at “Miller’s Last Resort” says that she received two Christmas kits that she wants to make for next year. Such projects help us bridge the gap into spring – hopefully, maybe.

And speaking of spring, today is springlike – nice sunshine, 54 degrees. The forecast seems to be for moderate temps over the next ten days. Mike wonders if we’ve had winter. Well, an early spring, or springlike weather in the middle of winter, brings challenges, too.

Mike cleaned out his shelf in the back cupboard today, and I’m gathering my collection of yarn from everywhere I’ve stashed it and separating it into categories. I have a lot of yarn and decreasing interest in worsted weights. I either have to donate it or make another scrap afghan. The trouble with scrap afghans is that they aren’t pretty unless the yarn is color coordinated, or to put it another way, the prettiest afghans are those which are color coordinated and for which you have the right amount of yarn, and having the right amount of yarn is where we end up with a stash of leftover yarn. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

I don't like this period of adjustment, but I think that's where resolutions and goals become important. Spring can't get here soon enough for me!

Kathy said...

And this from someone who has a blooming primrose in her yard! A real promise of spring. Lucky you!

Chris said...

Somehow over the last years I've made the most progress on a season just as the season ends, making way for the next year. Maybe because I need the season fresh in my mind and heart to work on projects? Anyway, I shall soon start on those kits and am looking forward to it. Spring is a ways away and I don't want to lose these days we have right now because they are passing too quickly as it is! A hazard of my age it seems.

Kathy said...

I think I understand what you're saying Chris. It's hard to work on Christmas projects when it isn't Christmas, and I quite agree. I feel another post coming on.