Wednesday, June 16, 2021

AS SPRING TURNS TO SUMMER

Sunday (June 13) was a hot summer day, but Monday was cooler and felt wonderful. I puttered around the yard, and Mike rode the Gilbert Grade on his mountain bike just to see if he still could.

Teakean Butte framed by wild roses

Tuesday turned cool again. We had planned to return to town after breakfast on Wednesday, but I suggested that it might be better to get ready and go back after lunch. After some deliberation, Mike agreed. We did farm chores in the morning and after lunch we drove back to town.

Honey Crisp applets wear protective bags

And let me tell you – it was a slow trip on Hwy 12 along the Clearwater River! At one time we were in a string of ten cars that included three RVs. Oncoming traffic was such that no one could pass. It looks like the tourist season is upon us.

Just as we pulled onto our street, it commenced to rain, and for half an hour or so, it was stormy. We badly needed this rain, and I hope the same storm blessed the farm. But – the rain total for the day was only a quarter of an inch. We could use more.

And speaking of road trips, Mike and Sam plan to leave Friday (the 18th) for a back roads motorcycle trip in central Oregon. Bess and I will staycate. I’m ready for rewards, but they won’t be coming in the mail. I haven’t had time to order fun stuff. KW

No comments: