Monday, June 28, 2021

HOT AND HOTTER

I was up at 5:00 this morning and made fresh nectar for the swarming hummingbirds. They need to stay hydrated, too. Mike calls them sugar addicts. Yes, and we’re enablers.

Fall wheat taken last week

Even though we were awake early, we didn’t leave for the morning walk until 6:20 or so. We agreed that it wasn’t early enough. It was already hot. The Plank’s Pitch route is not shady, but Bess does the best she can to stay out of the sun. Well, we got our daily walk, and now Mike continues his quest to wash all the windows in the house while I pour water on trees and the raised beds and fill the plant nannies. Bess seems content to rest in the shade while the hummingbirds quickly drain the feeders.

Fall wheat today -- ripening quickly

Yesterday I tried to weed one of the raised beds and a yellowjacket took umbrage and stung me twice – on my arm above the Fitbit and under my chin. I immediately applied a baking soda poultice and am only a little uncomfortable.

I forgot the camera, so I have to use my phone. Mike thinks it’s just as good and maybe better. I’m not sure.

Lapins Cherry Tree

I note a big change in the wheat fields. Last week it was a sea of bright green everywhere I looked. This week, the fields are noticeably lighter in color – and growing lighter every day. And our Lapins cherries, which were green last week, are suddenly turning red. Mike and I went out after lunch and swathed the tree with netting to discourage the birds. I’ll share with them, but I get mine first!

The serviceberries are small and immature. The country berries are just bound to be affected by the heat and lack of moisture. We never have too much moisture here anyway. I still have elder and serviceberry juice in the freezer. Maybe it’s a good thing.

As of this posting (Monday, June 28, 5:00 p.m.), it’s 104 at Gilbert, and 85 in the house. It’s bearable inside under the ceiling fans. KW

No comments: