Monday, June 7, 2021

PHASE V -- FINISH

Lavender blooms while I watch

Friday morning the mover arrived with his helper, and they methodically replaced our furniture in about an hour and a half. Then Mike and I continued to clean and sort. Mike worked hard while I didn’t. I make no apologies. He’ll finish his work and be off. Mine will continue forever. “A woman’s work is never done,” whether she does it or not.

And I’m constantly on call as the chief finder of mislaid things. I have found everything, and as we put things in their proper places, this problem will soon be solved, or as solved as it ever is.

“There’s a ride on Saturday,” announced Mike.

“Yes, I know,” I said.

“Oh, did you hear about it?” he asked.

“No, I can just tell by the frantic way you’re working.”

Mike still feels that he has to complete chores before he can play, but I think it just doesn’t matter. It will all get done sooner or later – or not.

Perhaps Mike’s most time-consuming chore was to put the door jamb of his office back together once the desk was moved in. The desk is large and the door is narrow; hence, the door jamb had to be removed – both sides – to allow the desk to move through. It wasn’t an easy fix since the carpet and pad are thicker than the old ones. It’s very nice underfoot, but we’ve had to make adjustments.

Finally, at 5:00, Mike said, “There’s still stuff in the garage, but I just can’t do any more.”

“Fine,” I said. “You’ve done enough for today.”

This process has been overwhelming to me, and I wouldn’t have done it if Mike hadn’t insisted, but it IS nice in the final analysis. The old broken-down sofa / loveseat combo is gone, replaced by the dual recliners, and when I sit here, I can see our front garden and watch the birds and the bees enjoying the blossoms. (Previously, the sofa blocked this view.) KW

[The photos are of the hollyhocks on the east side of the town house.]

4 comments:

Hallie said...

That WAS an undertaking! I'm glad you're on the other side of it all now.

Chuck said...

I'm glad this project and the one at the farm are done. Find some time to relax and enjoy those beautiful flowers. You have earned its

Chris said...

Hollyhocks remind me of when we lived downtown when I was little. There was a garage in the backyard that Dad used for his plumbing shop and it had hollyhocks growing along the side of it. They're such an old-timey flower.

Glad you're on the other side of the Big Project! You will enjoy the nice new fluffy carpet and the clean walls. As a matter of fact, you can feel quite virtuous about your very clean house! You've worked hard for it!

Kathy said...

We are "on the other side" but still working to put our special rooms together. We have eliminated a lot of stuff. Hope we don't miss it!

And I do relax and enjoy the flowers from time to time. I watched a bee visiting the lavender bush and a pair of quail scouting out the rock garden.

Chris, I agree that hollyhocks are old-timey. It's interesting that they seem rather cyclical. We've tried to plant them, but the best ones just show up.