Sunday, June 13, 2021

FARMHOUSE FIXES

Cottonwood Butte from the Gilbert Cemetery

Mike and I spent several days at the town house putting our rooms back together. Mike is anxious to have his part done. I’m taking time to reorganize my stashes.

On Saturday (June 12), we returned to the farm. Before even turning the water on, Mike was upstairs fixing the leaky bathtub faucet. It isn’t dripping now, nor is the toilet leaking. Success!

The hummingbird feeders had been drained of nectar, so I made more. A few have visited, but it’s clear we’ve lost momentum with the hummer community.

The deer, however, seem to become ever more brazen. They have been gradually nibbling this hollyhock at the back door, and Mike says they can have it because it’s in the way. I find it appalling that they feel free to nibble right at the house.

A well-munched hollyhock

In fact, last night at dusk the three of us watched – yes, Bess, too, watched from her perch on the porch – as three deer nibbled in the front yard. Mike speculated that they were eating clover. He tapped on the window, and they just looked up and then continued grazing. “They’ll run if I open the door,” I said, and as I did, they were on alert but still gave it some time before loping off. I might have been able to take a picture if I’d been ready. I’ll probably get another chance.

A baby Honey Crisp apple

Did I mention that for the first time the Honey Crisp apple tree we planted six years ago has a few apples? I see three. Hallie sent us some netting bags to protect them -- so that I might actually get some fruit, she said.

Today, we went over to the Gilbert Cemetery to pick up the artificial flowers we left there two weeks ago. While there, we committed to a burial plot. No one likes to think of these things, but I believe it’s a kindness to one’s heirs to take care of these things.

It's hot today and occasionally breezy, but it looks as though it will be cooler again in a few days. Maybe it will even rain. Maybe.  KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

We had some heavy rain this week--Primo and I got caught in a downpour yesterday morning. So maybe you will get rain.

I'm excited to see what happens with the apples! We have strawberries, but are having trouble getting to them before others do. We may need to net them.

Kathy said...

I, too, am finding that "others" are interested in my strawberries. I could lay a piece of netting over them. Maybe I will.