Monday, July 12, 2021

A STEP BACK IN TIME

Photo 1 -- from south field toward house

The photos here were taken at the farm by my dad, Vance Dobson, in 1959. In those days, you know, the photographer fiddled with a light meter and set the camera accordingly. Perhaps professional photographers still do, at least to some extent. If I had to do it -- well, I just wouldn't. 

Photo 2

These images are from color slides, and they have deteriorated over the years. Still, we can make out the image.


Photo 3

My dad's pictures differ from mine, and in fact, I see this with Uncle Earle's photos as well. There aren't many of the house, nor are there many of the canyon to the south. Photos tend to look northward. There are no photos from the lane or even from the road looking back to the house, which is one of my favorite shots. To see the house come into view as we move down Plank's Pitch is so nostalgic to me.

Photo 4

Of course, Daddy didn't walk -- not like I do.  And on the other hand, he was much more familiar with views from the fields.

Photo 5

I find that I cannot pinpoint the location of several of these photos. Even though the land doesn't change, the vegetation does, and those bushes and clumps of trees that might have provided clues are gone now. Perhaps brother Chuck will weigh in with comments.

UPDATE: Photo identification from Chuck:

Photo 1: From the south looking back to the house and yard (to right of center).

Photo 2: Taken from front yard looking south. Light streak is south field. The pine tree and bushes are gone now. The little bush on right was probably one of Ina's peonies.

Photo 3: Chuck calls this the lane on the south side of the pond, but there's no lane there now, and the trees are gone.

Photo 4: This one I know! It's in the grove looking north, and I think the tree just left of center is the one that Mike is now making into firewood. Hallie said it was at least 100 years old, so in 1959, it was probably 40-50 years old.

Photo 5: And Chuck says this one is on the southwest side of the house. In other words, it was taken behind the house from about where the bramble bush is today looking into the same gully as Photo 3. KW

4 comments:

Chuck said...

This is fun! No. 1 is correct. No.2, front yard looking south. Light streak is south field. No. 3, lane south of pond. Again, light field is south field. No. 4 is correct. No.5 is southwest side of house. The change in vegetation and trees makes it look different. Note trees in background in 3 and 5. Trees now gone. I like your puzzles.

After today, I will have three weeks left. Maybe I can make it. Sometimes the issue is in doubt.

Kathy said...

My instincts on these photos was correct according to your identification, but I came to doubt myself. Thanks for your input, Chuck.

Hallie said...

Ooh--I came here to insert my guesses. I was sure that No 2. had to be looking south given the tiny glimpse of the canyon and the establishment afar--is it Cottonwood that we see? It IS interesting how the absence of tress makes the game harder. Also, not being able to spot the pond for a frame of reference. I think I also would have gotten the gully right, though I've not hiked out to that place in years. It's not fun walking across the fields most of the year, in my opinion.

Kathy said...

The difference between what the eye sees and what the camera records always fascinates me. It's Cottonwood Butte that we see to the south.

The pond was much smaller in those days. We tried to enlarge and enhance it, but Mike says it's going back to nature now.

No, tramping the fields is problematic, but it's best right after harvest. I have enjoyed walking around and through the fields after harvest and before plowing and planting take place. Taking pictures makes any hike more enjoyable.