Wednesday, July 28, 2021

RATTLESNAKE IN THE POND

 As Bess and I walked at the pond this morning, I happened to pause as I rounded the far corner, and there in the mucky algae I spotted a rattlesnake enjoying a bath. I didn't have the camera, but I just happened to have my iPhone, so I was able to take this picture to prove what I saw. It lifted both its head and rattles out of the water and worked its forked tongue. Hard to say how long it was, but it was a large snake.

Mike says it's unusual to see a rattlesnake in water, but research confirms that rattlesnakes do swim, and they can swim on top of water, too. 

Bess didn't notice the snake. Just as well. We continued on our way. Follow the rules, and there won't be trouble. Bess gets an annual immunization against rattlesnake venom. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Yikes!!

Hallie said...

Wow! I also didn’t know rattle snakes could swim. I don’t like it.

Kathy said...

Well, you wouldn't be tempted to swim in the pond, that's for sure.

Also, they can stay underwater for 45 minutes. You can't drown them.