Saturday, July 17, 2021

THE LOST IS FOUND

IN REMEMBRANCE: HARRIET AND BILL REECE

My half-sister Harriet and her husband Bill Reece had this studio portrait taken in 2003 to commemorate their 50th wedding anniversary. I was the happy recipient of this picture, which I displayed for a while and then tucked into a desk drawer where I keep photos and cards and such. I knew I had this picture.

Yes, I knew I had it, but I couldn’t find it. Now and then, I would look for it, going through that stack of cards and photos time and again. When Bill passed away in 2015, I looked for it. When Harriet passed in 2016, I REALLY wanted it, and once again put real effort into looking for it.

As Mike was preparing the desk for storage in the garage, he removed all the drawers. “Look what I found,” he said, handing me the picture of Harriet and Bill. It had slipped over the top and behind the drawers. Fortunately, it was no worse for wear.

“I’ve been looking for that for years!” I exclaimed.

Now I have it and will store it in a photo box where it won’t slip away, and I also have it on my laptop.

And here are a couple of photos of Harriet and Bill at their wedding reception in the backyard at our parents’ home in Orofino – June 14, 1953. Uncle Porkie took these pictures.

It would have been nice to have posted this a month ago on their wedding anniversary – June 14. However, it didn’t happen, and I don’t want to wait another year because, after all, it doesn’t really matter. It’s nice to remember people whenever we think of them. KW




6 comments:

Chris said...

Such a lovely portrait of Harriet and Bill. I never really knew him, but that looks just like the Harriet I remember. 1953--wow, we were just little girls of three when she married! Close to four, though!

I have lost pictures behind drawers, too, and some did not fare as well as yours. Someday I'm going to have to get back to organizing them all. Someday. . .

Hallie said...

A very dashing couple. I wonder who made the cake. Was there a place in town that made wedding cakes or did the family usually put it together? If the latter, where would you get the topper?

Kathy said...

Hi Chris & Hallie!

Of course, you're right, Chris. I was shy of being four by two months. I was the flower girl. I don't remember when Bill wasn't part of the family.

The wedding cake was delivered from Lewiston by the baker himself. I think he owned a bakery. And after delivery, he stayed with the cake until the family arrived at the house to take charge of it. I think the topper was sold by the baker, and there might not have been much choice.

Becky said...

Thank you for this!! And I think of them every day. I still have her wedding dress. :)

Becky said...

❤❤🥰

Kathy said...

I think that Joni, Chuck,, and I are the only ones left with memories of the wedding. And I remember quite a lot about it despite the fact I was not yet four. I was impressed with my important duties as flower girl. I don't remember the reception, though. Just the wedding.