Saturday, August 28, 2021

BACK TO TOWN

Well, I finally did it. On Wednesday (Aug. 25), I took down the hummingbird feeders, cleaned them, and put them away. The population had gradually dwindled to two, and the last couple of days, I’ve only seen them drink once or twice. Meanwhile, the nectar attracts the yellowjackets, and I balk at making things easy for them. I also have other uses for my sugar. So, all things considered, I took the feeders down. And then, wouldn’t you know it, one of the little critters whizzed up, expecting a drink from the bar. “Closed for the season,” I said. “We have hollyhocks out there, or try the neighbors.”

For several days, I watched the deer cavort down on the flat (out north) from the kitchen window while I fixed supper. I would see them again in the early morning – just at the point where the field begins to slope into the draw. Mike and I walked out there one morning, hoping to find the attraction, but I guess they had just found a patch of wheat for good grazing.

Mike spent hours last weekend shopping for a console to sit under the new TV set. He finally ordered one from Amazon – assembly required, of course – with estimated delivery for Wednesday afternoon (Aug. 25), but it was delivered Tuesday forenoon, allowing us to complete the project two days sooner than expected. It always feels good to be ahead of schedule. The console is sturdy, and we’re happy with it.

An internet company out of Grangeville is installing a tower on the neighbor’s property – actually just behind our mailbox, which is a mile from our house. Unfortunately, it has to be in the line of sight with the house for it to do us any good, and it’s not. We can only see treetops. We remarked that the farmhouse is placed in a nicely protected spot, but why didn’t they give any thought to internet connection?

Now we’re back in town to run errands, get supplies, keep appointments, and attend meetings. And today, I did something I haven’t done in years – had my hair cut at a walk-in salon.

We went to Walmart yesterday, where they are re-arranging the aisles. What a mess! We found what we needed, but the shelves are not well-stocked. The same is true – well, it’s true everywhere. And expensive! I have sticker shock over everything from milk to yarn to pizzeria pizza! I’m so glad I’m not caring for a growing family today. KW


2 comments:

Chris said...

Love the console! It's perfect and you have just the right things on it. And I laughed right out loud over the house location and the internet!! Too funny!

And yes, I'm hearing lots of things are disappearing from stores. Here we go again. Who would have guessed?

Hallie said...

Agree—the console looks very nice and homey.