Sunday, August 15, 2021

EVACUATION – WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE WITH YOU?

Harvesting at the neighbor's

If harvest at our place is the greatest, then harvest at the neighbor’s is next best. I heard them before we could see them. Despite the dust – and the smoke – I think I’d have to say that August (and moving into autumn) is our favorite time at the farm.

The neighbor’s crop is soft spring wheat, planted about the first of May, and then we didn’t get any rain to speak of after that. It doesn’t look like a great crop – sparse and stunted -- but they’re harvesting it, and I wish our farmer the best. What blesses him blesses all of us.

Smoke before the Bedrock Canyon Fire
Smoke in Little Canyon this morning

The Bedrock Canyon Fire at Lenore is probably within 10 miles of us as the crow flies and is the cause of most of the smoke that fills our gullies and canyons, but since it’s on the other side of the Clearwater River, we’re not concerned that it would endanger us. Nevertheless, we empathize with those everywhere whose homes are lost or endangered, and the threat posed by wildfire is never far from thought these days. Sometimes I wonder what I would take with me if we had to evacuate, and I think it’s wise to have a plan.

Looking toward Peck on Aug. 11

Actually, I did think about this years ago when we moved here, and I stored in town everything I considered irreplaceable – pictures and letters. It’s not much – just four decorative shoebox-sized containers. So, if I had to leave the farmhouse in a hurry, I would take my devices. I’d pack my laptop and my iPad into my big black briefcase, throw my phone and my iPod (yes, I still love my iPod) into my purse, sling the camera over my shoulder, and never look back. And that’s good because I think Mike might have quite a bit to take.

Walking home over June's place

If I had more time – say an hour or half a day or even a day to get ready – I don’t know what I’d take. I think that would actually be more of a problem for me because we can only get so much into the Jeep, even if Mike does have excellent packing skills. If we were here in the big pick-up, we could pack quite a bit. Maybe I’d grab the Christmas ornaments from under the bed, perhaps my sewing machine, and my projects in progress. I’m afraid I might just start grabbing things just to be taking them, and maybe that’s not a bad way to go – if you have the time.

Boxes for packing would be a problem. We don’t keep many boxes. I would certainly dump the recycling out of our crates and use those. And I guess we have other storage bins I could empty to use for more important stuff.

The most important thing is to preserve life. After that, I would want to be compliant with authorities and get out of the way so that they can do their job in the interest of all. KW


6 comments:

M/W said...

I suppose I'd take my guns for sure and maybe a bike or two if I had room. I have quite a few tools in my mini shop but they're all duplicates of what I have in town. All my chainsaws are old so I'd have an excuse to upgrade. For that matter my bikes are old too but then so am I.

Chuck said...

Mike, you probably have more stuff than Kathy, so maybe you need to cart around a trader to haul your "necessities" in case.

Kathy said...

Chuck -- In fact, we have a trailer in the barn -- just an old pick-up bed, but it might be serviceable in a pinch. Maybe. But your suggestion of a trailer reminded me that we would want to take either the lawn mower or the 4-wheeler, or perhaps park them someplace out of the way -- if there is such a place.

And Mike -- I had the same thought about my sewing machine. I might not mind an upgrade if it came to leaving it behind.

I wonder if I would be so willing to more or less walk away if I were 20 years younger. I'm at the point of realizing that I can't take it with me, and my children have their own tastes and interests.

Chuck said...

Good thoughts.

Chris said...

I've pondered this question in the past and have come up with way too many options. I guess I'd grab Dan and the photo albums I've put together. All else can be replaced.

Kathy said...

Chris -- I thought maybe you'd take the 830. But I agree -- just about everything can be replaced.