Thursday, November 11, 2021

CHRISTMAS GNOMES?

What’s up with the gnome craze anyway? I was okay with it until they seemed to usurp the place of the Christmas elves. You can hardly find an elf today while gnomes abound. 

 Everyone knows that elves, not gnomes, are the toy-making employees in Santa’s workshop. Did the Christmas elves go on strike so that they had to be replaced by gnomes? Somehow I doubt it.

Online articles extol the history and characteristics of gnomes, presenting them as gentle, kindly creatures doing good. One writer opines that gnomes are popular at Christmas because Santa looks like a gnome. However, we have it on good authority of more than 150 years standing that Santa himself is a “right jolly old elf.” [See A Visit from St. Nick, also known as The Night Before Christmas, by Clement C. Moore.]

I am not anti-gnome. In fact, we have a garden gnome that was left at the old family home by a previous owner and subsequently came to live with me. I expect it dates to the 1920s, if not before. While we call it a gnome, it does have facial features. Most gnomes today sport a large nose sticking out through a beard that covers the whole face.

But still, I just resist the idea that gnomes should usurp the place of the elves at Christmas, and I wonder if the elf lost popularity because of that judgmental “Elf on the Shelf.” That’s a character and tradition that came along after my children were grown and gone, but it seems to me like that elf exhibits some questionable characteristics. He's a tattletale! 

I pondered this topic yesterday, and this morning I opened my paper to find that a judge in Georgia agrees that it’s time to restrain the Elf on the Shelf. I have a nice collection of elves, and they have always been happy, well-adjusted, fun-loving humanoids that mind their own business. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

I've noticed lots of gnomes, too. I've finally realized that it's just a ploy to get us to buy "new," as in the latest and greatest in decorating, and have emphatically declined. After all, Christmas decorating, in my book anyway, is about tradition. You make many good points and I agree with all of them. The elf on the shelf? Shudder!!

Hallie said...

Hmm...I don't know enough about the Elf on the Shelf. I only know that he hides around the house each day for the children to find. I'm pro-elf...I was even thinking that it would be fun to make elf yard ornaments like the ghosts I made, but I'm afraid that ghost to elf is quite a leap in my sketching ability.

Kathy said...

I was concerned that I might offend your Scandinavian heritage, Chris. I'm a quarter Swede, but you might be half Norwegian -- not sure. At any rate, I prefer to leave my imaginary world as it has always been.

Kathy said...

Hi Hallie! I'm hoping that Silas and I will enjoy building a village for the elves and fairies on the farm. We'll let you help, too.

Perhaps you could pattern your elves after those that someone else has designed.

According to online articles, the consequences of disobeying the rules established by the elf game can be traumatic for impressionable believers.

Chris said...

I think the elf on the shelf is supposed to keep watch to be sure the kids are "being good." Nothing warm and fuzzy about this guy!

Kathy said...

The elf on the shelf kinda reminds me of Alexa.