Tuesday, November 9, 2021

CLEANING OUT / MAKING ROOM

A beautiful sky on a cold autumn day

While I was helping with blankets for new grandson Silas and my sewing room was also in upheaval due to painting and carpeting, Hazel grew up. (Hazel is my great-grandniece’s American Girl doll who has been the focus of my doll clothes sewing project for the last four years.) As it was, Hazel had replaced Elizabeth, granddaughter Emmy’s doll, who grew up several years ago. And yes, I am feeling the loss, but it was not unexpected. It’s just the normal progression of things, and it must come.

Hazel -- ready for Halloween


You'd be right if you think I'm having trouble finding my next projects. I have a puff quilt, cloth books, and a Christmas stocking to finish for Silas. And there are quilts and aprons waiting to be made, and I’ll do that, but my heart is with the dolls. My own doll collection can use some work, but it’s somehow more satisfying to sew for a little girl's doll.

So – first things first. I’m doing a massive fabric clean-out. I can sit there in the middle of the floor and say to myself, “I could use this for xyz,” but if I don’t really like it, why keep it? I hope someone someplace can use it. The fabric market is constantly changing and showing us new colors and designs. It’s not inspirational to cling to the past when delectable things are available in the present. (Okay. Sometimes retro / vintage is inspirational. It just depends.) And somehow, after parting with what seems like a lot of fabric, my boxes are still mighty full. 

Well, it’s better to say what I did than what I’m going to do. Stay tuned. Thanksgiving is coming with Christmas close behind. Ina must prepare. KW

3 comments:

Becky said...

I miss Hazel too. But like you said. They must grow up. :)

Chris said...

Having no little girls to sew for, my dolly stitching has been stalled out for over a year. How many outfits do *my* dolls need? Your sewing room looks nice and tidy and well organized. Mine is a different story right now. Time! I need more time!!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
Haha! That picture was to illustrate the mess I'm in. Note: there are no machines set up -- just boxes in the middle of the floor.

And yes, I feel the same way -- that MY dolls don't need all that many outfits, but I must -- download -- patterns.

Hi Becky! Thanks for commenting.