Wednesday, November 17, 2021

PLANTING SPRING BULBS

We have more seasonal chilly temps after a big wind Monday night. The low was 25 this morning. I’m seeing spiders in the house now.

Yesterday was a beautiful autumn day in the valley, and we enjoyed a nice ride up the Clearwater River. It was still sunny when we reached the farm, but a chilly day at 36-38 degrees.

As usual, we had things to carry back to the farm and a list of things to gather and take back – my sewing machine, some pinecones for fire starters, and the 4-wheeler, to name a few. Mike and Bess went hunting as soon as we got there, and spent several hours tramping the perimeter of the farm. He has been concerned about the “blue tongue” deaths in the white tail population of our area, but he did not find carcasses.

For my part, I planted daffodil bulbs. Last June, I ordered spring bulbs from one of the famous bulb companies, especially daffodils for naturalizing, and the order wasn’t delivered until last week. I would like to have planted several weeks ago when it was warmer, but on the other hand, I’m sure that recent rains have made the ground softer and more workable. Anyway, this is the last time I will order bulbs, but I expect I won’t need to. If these bulbs grow and divide, I will be richly rewarded.

Since Mike has let the “orchard” behind the house return to native plants and weeds, I decided to naturalize the daffodils throughout that area. I had no problem making holes six inches deep. The idea behind naturalizing is to toss the bulbs on the ground and plant where they land, but while that appeals to me, in practice I’m not that good. I planted 3-4 bulbs at a time.

I worked steadily for an hour and a half, and I don’t think I planted half the sack! They say you can plant them in January and even when there’s snow on the ground, so apparently my window of opportunity will continue for a while. Gives me something to do. Keeps me busy.

Oh! And while I was working, dark clouds began to gather, and we had intermittent wind and sleet, which continued for several hours, even as we drove home across the prairie. We left about 1:45, and it was difficult driving into the sun on this short day. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

You are amazing, out planting in this weather!! I sit inside with my coffee and my cross stitch and my books. And it's been dropping little white flakes out there today! I do love daffodils though!

Kathy said...

Me? Amazing? No, no - you're the amazing one. You actually finish what you start -- and beautifully. But okay -- I'm a little amazing for going out to plant the bulbs, but I have to -- and still have to -- because I bought them. But it will feel like accomplishment when I'm finished, and I hope for lovely daffodils in our yard.