Monday, November 29, 2021

CYBER MONDAY

Penney’s, Macy’s, Kmart, Shopko – All have closed their brick-and-mortar stores, at least in our community, leaving us with a dearth of merchandise. We all have plenty of online shopping, but I miss seeing and feeling the real thing before I buy. Some things just have to be seen and felt. And I miss the ability to find quality goods in my community.

That said, I can cyber-shop with the best of them, but things have changed in the retail world. I think to myself, “You want me to spend how much before you allow free shipping?” And when in enthusiastic tones they offer me 10% off as if it’s the best deal ever, I want to respond, “Are you kidding me? That’s no deal.” At the same time, I know it’s tough to be a retailer. I do have some sympathy for them.

A few years ago, the deals were generally better. At 50% off, I could be enticed to buy something that I really didn’t need. But I think that retailers got wise to the fact that shoppers were waiting for the big cuts, and they quit marketing that way. So, at my stage of life, where I really don’t need much, I don’t indulge in those lackluster offers. I just find the hype kinda surprising, as if they don't think I know that a 10% reduction is barely worth mentioning.

I say that, but those seemingly small percentages are noticeable as our groceries become more expensive. Groceries are going up and not by just a little bit! I buy whatever I want / need at the grocery store, but I’ll still find myself thinking, “I’m not going to pay that,” and leaving a desired item on the shelf.

As my grandmother Ina wrote in 1935:  Well, dearest, don’t worry over us. We’ll make it all right. I don’t intend to do without food and decent clothes and plenty of light such as it is. Ina was the master of a “skimpy Christmas,” and on Wednesday, December 1, I will begin my annual “Christmas with Ina” advent posts. It won’t be anything new – just a re-presentation of Ina’s Christmas letters to my dad in the Depression Era of the 1930s, illustrated by vintage Christmas cards, etc. I invite you to stop by every day in December for a good visit with Ina. Perhaps you’ll bring a hot drink and a Christmas cookie. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Mmmm....I've just found my inspiration to try making shortbread cookies! We are presently decorating the tree.

Kathy said...

Did I inspire you to make shortbread cookies, or did you find your inspiration elsewhere?

Is Silas going to help decorate the tree?

Hallie said...

You inspired me by suggesting I grab some cookies and a warm beverage. Also, we were gifted a few cookies and they were delicious and I want some more.

I tried putting Silas in a cloth baby carrier earlier to test whether I could decorate with him on board but he only tolerated it for a few minutes. He’ll be nearby, though.

Chris said...

Cookies! Warm beverage! Christmas trees!! Bring it on!!