Tuesday, April 19, 2022

FIRST TRIP TO FARM - 2022

We wanted to visit the farm well before now, but we could see that it was still cold there – even dipping into the low 20s last week, and we put it off. But Mike was anxious to turn the water on and make sure the place is ready for our summer stays, so Monday (the 18th) was the day. We loaded a laundry basket of stuff that belongs there (lots of jelly jars), ham sandwiches for lunch, and Bess. Then we stopped at son Murray’s and took him along, too.

It was overcast – not a particularly pretty day. Patches of snow remain here and there. It reached 50 while we were there. It was 43 in the house.

First off, I unlocked the kitchen door but was unable to fully open it because something was wedged under it on the kitchen side. Well, you can probably guess that a trapped mouse had drug the trap there. I managed to get the door open enough to squeeze myself into the kitchen, but in doing so, I ruined the trap. All told, we trapped seven mice. Mike baited and reset the traps before we left. (Note to self: get more traps.)

I set to work gathering the items on my list. Tackling the fun stuff first, I selected books for 6-month-old Silas. (He’s coming to visit this weekend.) His parents read to him regularly, and he loves it. He prefers stories, says his mother, so I chose quite a number of my favorite books.

When Mike was ready to turn on the water, he stationed Murray and me in the upstairs bathrooms to watch for – and quickly report – any gushing water, but the water stayed in the pipes. All is well. Hopefully, we’re good for the season.

The early daffodils are in bloom now – including the wild variety in the grove as well as the ones I managed to naturalize last November. I love daffodil season. One of the rhubarb plants is making a comeback, and the deer didn’t damage the lilacs. The raised beds need work. I’m not sure if I’ll keep the strawberries.

Mike planted ten flowering trees, babies received from our donation to the Arbor Day Foundation – five white dogwood and five eastern redbud. “Oh, the dogwood won’t make it,” I said. Mike replied laughingly that none of them would make it. We have bad luck with the Arbor Day trees.

And despite our efforts to evict them, the gophers have continued their housing development on the south side of the house and yard. I don’t like to talk about it, but I poisoned holes again yesterday.

The most heartwarming sight was a goose sitting on the south end of the pond. We surmise that she’s sitting on a nest because she was disinclined to move. She stood and honked when Bess was too close for comfort, but she was not intimidated if we kept our distance. I hope it works out well for her family because she has no protection.

I had some trouble with my camera – I think it was just the battery – so I used my phone to take most of the pictures here. It’s probably time to think about a new camera. Or, maybe my phone will be my camera. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yay, for no water problems! We actually have sunshine here this morning and it's energizing. Maybe we'll get spring after all. I ordered some new shirts from Chico's which arrived yesterday and I'm actually wearing one instead of the usual fleece or sweaters of the last seven months.

I've pretty much given up on my camera and just use my phone anymore. Then I can email them to myself and not have to download, so that part is much easier, and the photos are of the same quality, it seems.

Don't forget to get more mouse traps!! (:

Kathy said...

Here we are in the afternoon, and it's clouding up. The morning was warm, though.

Chico's, huh? I must look into that. I have a few new shirts among some very elderly ones.

I wore a sweatshirt with wintry design to the grocery store the other day, and the cashier said, "Looks like you miss the snow." I had to laugh. My spring sweatshirt with dragonflies is white. I also have a new one with butterflies, and it's so long that I have to shorten it.