Thursday, April 7, 2022

WAITING FOR WARMER WEATHER

Here we are in the early days of spring, and consistent with the timing, mornings are chilly with occasional frost, while afternoons are pleasantly warm if the sun is visible. We haven’t had much rain, and I think we could use more. 

We had tentatively planned to turn on the water at the farmhouse this week but thought better of it when we noted that next week the forecast shows the lows dropping into the low 20s for several days. We decided to play it safe and not tempt fate.  

Even though it's too early to plant, it's not too early to plan. I could tell that the good folks at W. Atlee Burpee & Company wanted me to make an order, so I did, and now it’s here. I received two varieties of sunflowers; a package of lettuce seed – six varieties that are supposed to withstand heat; Burpee’s best hybrid zucchini (“early harvest, out of this world yields, and exceptional vigor”); and a package of spinach (“grows best in cool weather,” as always).

Well, we’ll see what comes of all this. By the time all danger of frost is past, it will probably rain steadily for two weeks and make the soil soggy, and then it will be June and hot and the seeds won’t germinate, or the rabbits will eat them, or whatever it is that happens to bring my efforts to naught. But when I think of those who have lost everything to today’s tornados and fires, I just count my blessings. I can always buy our produce. 

Meanwhile, Mike and I have been doing yard work here in town. I have clipped back the wormwood (Silver Sage) and pulled out some of the lavender and other vegetation that died back in last summer’s heat. We loaded the pick-up bed with yard waste and hauled it to the landfill, but we have more yard work to do.

Our ornamental cherry tree burst into bloom last week, but the wind played havoc with her blossoms. Her peak was short-lived. 

Just to recap the winter’s creative efforts and provide pictorial interest, here are a couple of finished items in the doll clothes category. I made the sweater from a winter cap purchased at the Dollar Tree and the jacket from a small remnant. Oh – and I also made the leggings, needed for modesty. The motivating factor in sewing for my dolls is mostly to try patterns and use fabric. I seem to struggle with it some. I miss sewing for a little girl’s doll. KW 

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love the animal print jacket! I miss seeing your creations for the little girl's doll. I'm spending this evening with Allyn and I'll show her these pictures.

Kathy said...

Hi Becky!
I know Allyn has moved on to other activities, and that's normal. I hope that we made Hazel a special experience for her.

Chris said...

Such cute clothes!! And your tree is gorgeous. Things are starting to pop up here, but no flowering trees as yet. Spring will come though! (I think--some years it doesn't.)

Hallie said...

I almost did a quick planting of things in my raised bed the weekend before last. I’m always late with the garden and also struggle with my yields. Well, once I started working the soil it seemed too damp to plant. Just what you said—by the time conditions seem right it’s getting a bit late.