Thursday, June 23, 2022

SUMMER ENCHANTMENT

[Two posts today, this one and the next below.]


Common sunflowers

Ah, summer! Sunlight, warm days that begin early and practically last beyond bedtime, lighter clothing, outdoor work, and food off the grill. Now we fear that it will turn hot, but while it’s still moderate, let’s enjoy it. (I say this, but today it’s 65 with a cool breeze and I’m thinking my plan to take the electric blanket off the bed may be premature.)

Wonderful toadstools as big as dinner plates have appeared in the grove where the imaginary elves live.

I planted the raised beds last Friday morning (June 17), and already the zinnias, lettuce, and spinach are coming up. I planted the zinnias in the hope that the garden might look good even if not productive. The Early Girl tomato plant looks happy, but I’m not so sure about the zucchini. Last year the strawberries were ugly and didn’t produce much fruit, but this year they look great. It remains to be seen if the fruiting trees bear much this year.

Mike and I are determined to beautify the “orchard” and the bank behind the house with invasive perennials. We’ve transplanted valerian from the drought-tolerant garden in town and hope it will do well here, too. We’ve already transplanted Russian sage and lavender, and will bring yarrow and silver sage (wormwood). Common sunflowers bloom, and we encourage the hollyhocks. I only regret that we didn’t start years ago, but that can’t be helped. This is now.

I made a mistake last week and accidentally left the fencing around the honey crisp apple tree open. Several branches were stripped of their leaves. Fortunately, they are low branches that I was thinking of pruning anyway. It’s just a reminder that we have to protect everything or we’ll have nothing. KW

1 comment:

M/W said...

My plant app says these are Agaricus mushrooms. This a large a very old (over 20 million years) family of mushrooms composed of many varieties. Some are edible and some are poisonous. I think we'll pass on eating these.