Thursday, June 9, 2022

TOO WET TO PLANT

“Never leave home without a sweater,” was my mother’s advice for summer outings. “The weather can change and the evenings are cool.” It’s so true in this part of the country. Unfortunately, I often fail to heed that advice. “I won’t need my hoodie,” I said to myself as we left the town house for the farm. “It’s going to be nice now.” Well, the sun is warm, but the air is still cool, and it can be colder in the house than outside. And wouldn’t you know it? – it rained a bit Thursday morning and there’s more rain in the forecast.

What’s up with the hummingbirds anyway? I noticed a distinct lack of interest in my nectar last week. “Okay for you,” I said as we made ready to leave for town. “I’m taking the feeders down. I’m not leaving the nectar here to spoil.” And I was true to my word. I didn’t replenish the feeders this visit either. As I work in the yard, the odd hummer will buzz by, but they haven’t called at the windows to ask for nectar. I think they’re being brats. Don’t they know I like to watch them? Oh well. I have other uses for the sugar. I actually put the feeders away.

I transplanted a young lavender from town to the bank behind the house. I’ve also transplanted some valerian – pretty but super invasive, but we’ve come to appreciate invasive plants, both here and in town. The raised beds are still too wet to plant, and I think I’ll just buy some plants rather than planting from seed.


A farm neighbor came to visit the other day, and discussion turned to the fields. Nothing has been planted in this region, he said. He reported that Farmer Kyle had thought he might plant canola in the fall, but all the farmers had the same idea – plant canola in the fall – and seed is now in short supply. Meanwhile, farmers still have the expense of spraying and maintaining the fields.

Mike cycled into Nezperce Wednesday afternoon, and while he was gone, Bess and I walked the perimeter of the north field. The photos on this post show that water still runs through the fields. KW

No comments: