Thursday, June 16, 2022

WATERLOGGED

Note the machinery tracks in the muddy north field

“It’s going to rain again on the weekend!” exclaimed Mike, a tone of incredulity in his voice. He has never seen it so wet at this time of year, he says. I really can’t say. I remember occasional spring flooding in my young years, but I don’t remember a time that my dad couldn’t plant. 

A deer trail through the grove to the field

Here at Gilbert, we huddled in warm clothes last night as the newscaster told us about hot temps across the country. Not in the Pacific Northwest and its Inland Empire, though. Rain is predicted this weekend – also wind – and then the rain will abate but a system from Alaska will come through – or something. Looks like the next ten days will be fairly cool, gradually building to the mid-70s here at elevation. It has to be warmer to dry out the fields.

Mike mowed first thing when we arrived here at the farm yesterday (Wednesday, June 15). He was careful to avoid the boggy spots, but still, I can see muddy tracks where the water was hiding under the grass. The puddle under the clothesline is worse, now extending into the yard. He couldn’t mow behind the house either.

A toadstool in the grove

And, of course, the fields are worse than they were. The farmers can’t plant and can’t spray the weeds and volunteer wheat that grow freely in this moisture. The ground is too wet for the machinery.



Common sunflowers in bloom

The situation isn’t good for the gardeners either. I have garden seeds, and I brought tomato and zucchini plants with me, but I read that I shouldn’t plant them in wet soil – bad for the plants and the soil. Don’t know what I’ll do. I’ll probably just plant later to make the raised beds pretty – if that’s possible.

Meanwhile, the rhubarb and the strawberries look better than they have in years. The moisture encourages the growth of the established greenery, and if it turns hot and dries the vegetation – but let’s not think about that right now.

I often start a sewing project that then becomes a “buffalo” and goes unfinished for months (or years), but I recently made these chair cushions in a weekend. I had sticker shock when I saw the price of the outdoor fabrics at JoAnn’s – expensive even on sale, so we found this regular upholstery fabric at $9/yd. and then applied the half price coupon. I used the padding from the old cushions. KW

No comments: