Tuesday, December 13, 2022

DECORATING THE MANTEL – DAY 13



We had two mantels now so hung the stockings again and [eventually] I crocheted granny square covers for them. Finally stockings were hung at both mantels.
– Dorothy Portfors Dobson

You are lucky if you have a mantel as a focal point for your holiday decorating. And if you have a mantel, this means you also have a chimney – Santa’s preferred method of entree. Some of us have to leave a key under the doormat.

In 1963, the Osmond Brothers Quartet (which, by the way, did not include little brother Donnie), released a Christmas album which included the song, “Santa, No Chimney,” and this album, a gift from my Uncle Earle, is still in my collection. You can hear the Osmonds sing “Santa, No Chimney,” at this link, and they also sang it on Andy Williams’ show (here). Here are a few verses:

On Christmas morning, Santa
I sure wanna be surprised
But sir, without a chimney
How could you get inside?

I think I have a plan of what I’m gonna do
I’ll leave the key beneath the front doormat for you
Cause when you get to our house
You will see
We haven’t got a chimney.

Livingroom Mantel, 1951

As described in my mother’s words above, we had two fireplaces in the home of my youth and hence, two mantels. Over the years, both mantels were decorated for Christmas, especially the one in the living room. The stockings were hung by that chimney with care, and eventually the family grew to the point that we had to hang them on both mantels.



Livingroom mantel, 197?

I don’t have a mantel. When the fireplace at the farmhouse was rebuilt, I was startled to discover that the mason included only a brick ledge. It hadn’t occurred to me that I should specify my desire for a real mantel – and maybe it wouldn’t have been possible. We call that ledge a mantel, but it doesn’t inspire decorating. In town, we have no mantel and few “decorable” surfaces.

Fortunately, Santa is magic. He will find a way to visit us, especially little Silas. KW

1 comment:

Chris said...

I didn't grow up with stockings, but when I had children, I decided we would have them, just like you did. So many of my Christmas ideas came from your house as you know. We do have a fireplace (actually two of them), but they have no mantles, so we just lay the stockings on the raised hearth by the upstairs one.