Thursday, December 15, 2022

REDECORATING THE TREE – DAY 15

Our new pre-lit Christmas tree was delivered yesterday. You might recall that I didn’t expect it until mid-January, but they updated the order, and here it is. Following the manufacturer’s recommendations, I spent more than an hour fluffing it, and then I took down the previous tree and decorated the new one. I could have just stored the new tree in its compact box and waited until next year, but I thought it would be good to donate the old one to the thrift store while someone might still be looking for a tree.

The new tree is the “umbrella” type. The branches are hinged and fold down. It’s not as pretty as the old tree but will be more fun to decorate. 

I wish I had a few more ornaments at my disposal. I HAVE ORNAMENTS – just not at this house. I need to sort ornaments and pare down my collection, but it won’t be easy, and when it’s not the Christmas season, I just don’t get to it. Hmmmm. I feel a New Year’s resolution coming on . . .

One year, as I helped my mother decorate the tree, she said, “Kathy, we need more ornaments. Let’s go down town.” The hardware store in our little town sold ornaments that were as lovely as any at the Crescent in Spokane or Marshall Field in Boston. I don’t remember how many ornaments Mother bought that day – maybe a dozen, maybe more. She loved a tree that was full of ornaments. KW

4 comments:

Becky said...

And full of ornaments it was! And she had a certain way of decorating it. And wouldn't let me help because it wasn't done her way. :) The article in the Tribune was nice. And sure is getting alot of attention on FB.
My tree is mostly all handmade ornaments, made by Grandma, that I will cherish forever. ❤

Kathy said...

I'm sorry she didn't let you help. She let me decorate the tree as long as I was home, but she admitted that she rearranged the ornaments when I wasn't looking. The process can become too important. People are important, not things.

Some years back, I overheard a conversation between two young mothers. One was complaining that she wanted a beautifully decorated tree, but if she let the children help, it didn't suit her. I could have added plenty to that conversation, but I didn't join in. The children grow up and leave, and then we have plenty of time to contemplate the beautifully decorated tree and how much it really matters.

Chris said...

The morning the picture of your parents was in the paper, I woke to a text from John telling me about it. He was so excited! (He reads the Trib online.) I love the ornaments you sent me and they go on every year. Daniel loved the birds, so one when home with him that year and he puts his on their tree every year.

Kathy said...

Thank you for this comment, Chris. So glad to hear these things are meaningful.