Wednesday, December 21, 2022

INA'S CHRISTMAS, 1934 -- DAY 21



Christmas morning found me enjoying a good nap when Dad called “Merry Christmas.” I rose tardily to begin my 1934 Christmas. Dad went to “feed the chores” and I began breakfast: biscuits and sausage for him; beefsteak, cream gravy, and light bread for me. We also had grapefruit, cereal, cranberries, and honey oranges. I gave Dick [the dog] a generous breakfast of meat scraps, etc., and the cats also with liver to top it off and wished them all a “Merry Christmas.” I then fell to work and was all done and dressed and fixing my apples for salad when the guests came. Others helped me light the tree and arrange seats. It looked very pretty and everybody seemed to enjoy themselves.


2 comments:

Chris said...

That’s a lot of breakfast food!

Kathy said...

Yes -- she basically fixed two breakfasts on her woodstove, and apparently she did it uncomplainingly. I'd have told Grandpa that he would eat what I eat and supplement with the extras! If that didn't fly, I would have done something to bring the two meals closer together. And of course, they didn't have the extras all the time.