Monday, June 26, 2023

STAYCATION 2023 – DAY 1 (THE PREP)

The goal of this staycation is to handle the activities of a stay at the farm by myself, and it IS a challenge. Usually, I pack the coolers, crates, and baskets, and Mike does the lift and carry and handles so many details. Now I must rely on myself.

Mike left about 7:00 a.m. on Saturday (June 24). I took care of Bess, put the final touches on the shopping list, and headed out for my favorite strip mall – Dollar Tree, JoAnn, and Albertsons. JoAnn’s is beginning to look a lot like autumn, which means that summer things are on sale. I bought a nice wreath at 70% off, or about $20, and that’s what it’s worth to me. It’s a staycation gift, of course.

I also shopped at JoAnn for fabric paint, which is a little spendy and would make a great staycation gift. However, I found a variety of such products and decided to research in order to make an informed decision. I might have purchased except that I didn’t like the deal: “buy one/get one” (or get one half price). Nothing discourages my purchasing like a BOGO if I only need one. Don’t they know this?

At Albertsons, I bought food for my staycation, first thinking it was too much to pay and then reminding myself that Mike is eating out. My cart was loaded. It was after noon when I arrived back home. I put the groceries away since most of it was dairy, produce, and meat and will have to be packed in the morning.

Perhaps I should have loaded the Jeep and headed to the farm, but instead, I opted to go Sunday morning, hopefully after a good night’s rest. Loading and unloading is stressful, and I just deal with things better earlier in the day. But time was heavy on my hands in the afternoon. So much of the packing must be done at the last minute. KW

No comments: