Thursday, June 29, 2023

STAYCATION 2023 DAY 4 – GETTING WITH IT

It’s Tuesday. I was awakened at 5:30 by a continuous insistent tapping sound that I couldn’t identify. It wasn’t a bird and it wasn’t a metallic sound. After some minutes, I heard something softly fall, and that was the end of it. I suspect a critter was caught in a trap in the attic. No, I am NOT going up there to investigate. (I have to draw the line someplace.)

Note needle & thread upper right

To my delight, yesterday afternoon I found this cute little muslin panel apron that I had misplaced. It came to me in my mother’s things, but it could even be my grandmother’s unfinished project. I come from a long line of crafters easily “buffaloed” by the finishing process. I once remarked to sister Harriet that I just couldn’t seem to conquer the clutter in my house. “It’s hereditary,” she quipped; “you get it from your mother.” I think it’s the same way with the project “buffaloes.”


Anyway, as I recently sorted my project bins, I almost discarded this little apron, thinking I would never do anything with it. Later, I thought of a way to use it but couldn’t find it, so I sadly decided that I must have just thrown it away. I searched in vain through all my bins and boxes, but today I opened a small box I had set aside, and there it was! Finding it made my day!

It was 7:30 a.m. before Bess and I set out on the walk. It was only 65 degrees but the sun was already hot. Once again, we walked to the mailbox. Again, Bess was rather insistent that we go to the pond, but this time I made “NO” stick.

I made a list of things to do and accomplished very little of it. I baked banana nut bread and forgot to add the nuts. Oh well. Otherwise, it was very good. My secret is not to overfill the pans and lower the heat after half an hour. I watered the raised beds and added the little fences here and there to stake the tomatoes and squash. It’s a lull in the strawberry picking while they bloom again. I do so hope I have strawberries to pick while Silas is here. He loves strawberries. The squash and tomatoes are also blooming.

I’m so glad that Mike and I swathed the cherry tree when we did. The cherries are ripening quickly. I do hope the birds let us have some.

A thunderstorm rolled through mid-afternoon. It wasn’t close, and we only got .01 inch of rain. We could use a nice soaking rain. KW

4 comments:

Chuck said...

I am interested in hearing the "rest of the story" about the tapping sound in the attic. Please don't forget it when Mike gets back home. When is he supposed to get back? You are doing great taking care of things while he is gone.

Kathy said...

Staycation is drawing to a close. I will meet Mike in town on Sunday (the 2nd). Thanks for your encouragement, Chuck.

Chris said...

You amaze me with your farm girl ways!!

Have you tried mini chocolate chips in your banana bread? Mmmm...

Kathy said...

Ha! Mike loves banana bread but isn't a big chocolate fan. A friend used to give me banana bread with chocolate chips, and Mike said, "Tell Rosemary not to put chocolate chips in the banana bread." Of course, I didn't do that.

Someone once shared a recipe for chocolate cake with banana in it. I never made it.