Tuesday, June 27, 2023

STAYCATION 2023, DAY 2 – THE SET-UP

I took one last look around the house before leaving for the farm and found an open window. I had been up since 5:30, and once the Jeep was loaded with food, devices, fabric, reading material, we were ready to go. It was just after 8:00. It was an easy trip – very little traffic headed my direction. We drove through a shower or two, and it appeared to be raining in earnest as we arrived at the farm. However, it didn’t last and wasn’t enough moisture to settle the dust.

My goal for the day was just to unpack and organize. Mike always unloads everything from the Jeep before doing anything else, but I got sidetracked. Bess is out of sorts with Mike’s absence, so I offered her a walk, and she opted to tackle Plank’s Pitch. “Okay. Better now than later when it’s warmer,” I thought.

When I arrived at the top of the pitch, Bess was waiting for me.

“Let’s go to Pete’s Pond,” she said, dancing all around me.

“NO,” I said emphatically. “I don’t want to.”

“But I do,” Bess said, herding me in that direction. 

So, we went to the pond, but before we got there, Bess went on point.

“Come on, Bess!” I called.

“I’m tellin’ ya,” she said; “there’s something in there.” And she knew what she was talking about. A wild turkey got up and flew off.

The grass has grown tall around the pond. “Stay out of tall grass and watch where you step,” my old daddy’s voice boomed in my memory, and I resolved not to do this again. I gingerly walked around the edge of the field until I got to a point where I could access the road. Bess was there ahead of me.

Back at the house, I finished unpacking. At least, I thought I did. I watered the gardens and picked a cup of strawberries. I carried my sewing machine and a table downstairs and set it up. I hung the wreath on the front door and stood back to admire it. In the words of Meredith Willson: “The prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be on your own front door.” It’s true of all seasonal decorations.

Late afternoon, I realized that I had left my sewing toolbox in the Jeep, and when I went to retrieve it, I discovered the zippered cold/hot sack full of produce sitting there in the hot car. “OH NO!” I exclaimed aloud. I was dismayed that I had overlooked it, but the produce seems to have survived. So glad I didn’t leave it overnight! KW

1 comment:

M/W said...

Wreath looks great!