Sunday, June 10, 2018

A TINY PROJECT


One of our sons is sending a box to an online friend who lives overseas, including gifts for her and her three children – two boys and a girl. I caught his enthusiasm and decided he didn’t need to have all the fun. I offered to provide a gift for the girl – a doll and wardrobe. Since space and weight would matter, I selected an American Girl mini doll (6.5 inches). And yes, you can find patterns for the mini dolls through online sellers.

And I learned a nifty trick – lining a bodice or top with netting. At first, I “pooh-poohed” it. “Don’t bother me with this,” I complained to myself as I read the lengthy tutorial. “Why can’t anything ever just be simple!” But I stepped up to it anyway, figuring the author was the expert, after all. Working with it, I discovered that the netting provides the advantages of lining without adding bulk. The piece turns easily, presses smoothly, and actually makes up quickly. Once I figured that out, I was off and running. I cut out a number of outfits at once.

Oh! You can also see by the picture that I crocheted a couple of dresses. The variegated is #10 thread. The other is pearl cotton. Of course, it takes time to crochet, but I was gratified by the results. 

Anyway, I wasn’t ready to quit when my son said he was ready for my offerings. So, what did I do? I ordered another doll, of course – this one used and naked (the price was right) – and plan (I say “plan” because we all know what happens to the best-laid plans) to continue making little outfits. For now, I’ve packaged the doll, patterns, scraps, etc., into a large baggie and pinned it to my bulletin board because Hazel and Elizabeth need summer outfits. KW

1 comment:

Chris said...

Those little dresses are adorable! I'm certain the recipient will absolutely love the doll and all her outfits. And you'll make more! I guess I need a little girl to sew for. I'm already thinking of little Taylor in a few years, so hopefully my time is coming!