Tuesday, June 26, 2018

STAYCATION 2018, DAY 9 (MONDAY)



PHOTO THREE -- Red-tailed hawks


Today is technically the last day of Staycation 2018.

I was up by 5:30 and enjoyed an hour to myself. Then I dressed and let the dogs out of the kennel. Nellie showed interest in walking with us, but a block out, she decided to return to the house. I left her in the house – what was I thinking!?! – and Bess and I returned to the road for our exercise walk.
Photo 1
Photo 2

This time I did have the camera, and the hawks graciously posed on the telephone pole. I took the first picture some distance back, thinking they might fly. I continued to move closer and was able to get three successive shots. I was fairly close by the time they flew, and I was pleased with the results of my efforts. Perhaps the hawks are nesting in this old nest, but I guess they also nest in rocks, and that might be more likely.
I think it's a king bird.

Also, along our route, a king bird takes umbrage at Bess’ presence and swoops from the power line down over her back. Bess mostly pays it no heed. 

So, as I mentioned previously, Nellie opted out of the walk and I left her in the house. In my distracted state, I failed to close interior doors, which is a necessity these days. Arriving at the house from our walk, I caught Nellie in the hallway, and yes – she left a puddle in my sewing room, right in front of the ironing board. [There is no photo of this event.] I am now racking up points for future gifts / rewards.

It reached the high 70s quickly today. I prepared for a hot day by closing windows. Then the wind came up, it became overcast, and the temp topped out at 84. It was really quite windy and the air felt cool.
Mike called tonight. He made good time on the interstate and arrived in Blackfoot well before supper. He’ll be home tomorrow night.

It was just a regular day with dogs. I think we’re all three tired of the drill. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

It’s been cooler here these last few days. I’ve not bothered about watering much since the weekend. Nick tells me that we havensome nice looking peas in the garden. I need to go out and look for myself and maybe pick them.

Kathy said...

Don't let your peas get too old before you pick them. Pick them when they're just right.