Friday, June 22, 2018

STAYCATION 2018, DAY 5 (AND NOW IT’S THURSDAY)


Happy First Day of Summer!

Tomato plant and yellow yarrow
The house was warm when I went to bed last night, but a thunderstorm passed through in the wee hours. We had no rain here but the system cooled us a bit, and we appreciated the relief.

I arose at 6:15, dressed, and let Bess out of the kennel. Nellie was still asleep in the doghouse, so I relocked the kennel gate, grabbed my visor, and to Bess’ delight, we headed up South Slope for an exercise walk in the cool of the day. Even so, it was already 68.

Nellie didn’t get up until 8:30, but was I worried? You bet! I would prefer she not leave this world on my watch. I guess she was just enjoying a sound sleep, though. Once she was up, she explored her world a bit and then nibbled her breakfast.

Another variety of yarrow
I welcomed lots of human contact today. I had two lengthy phone visits with sister Joni this morning. At the end of the first (37 minutes), I mentioned that I’m here with dogs, so ten minutes later she called back and we talked another 50 minutes. Friends took me to dinner this evening, and son Clint called to check on me. Mike also checked in tonight. He and Yancey are enjoying beautiful scenery in New Mexico. He said that the heat hasn't been too bad, but tomorrow will be a 100-degree day. They will make an early start.

Bitty Baby’s blue stain is responding to treatment – lighter every day – and now I’m researching how to renew her painted “hair.” I don’t find much info on that. One owner covered a scuffed head with a wig, a look that doesn’t appeal to me. Other advice relates to those who are dedicated hobbyists. Really – I just want to cover scuff marks. It makes me nervous that apparently no one has done that -- or maybe they just aren't talking. I don’t want to risk making it worse, but it looks like I’m going to have to experiment. Of course, I could just do nothing . . .
 

Today’s staycation gift was a book, The Art of Holly Hobbie, which I selected from my Amazon wish list. Some of Holly Hobbie’s girls remind me of my own little girl, Hallie. The book is a great gift but not good bedtime reading because of the small, light, stylized print. I guess I can always just look at the pictures.

My plan was to go to town today, but it just didn’t work out. I must go tomorrow, though, because we’re nearly out of dog food. My friends are depending on me to take care of them. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hmm, I noticed her head showed signs of wear. Maybe try a washable marker to see if the color would work and then try a more permanent one?? I'm sure your Bitty is happy to have some loving attention.

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!

Email notification of comments stopped someplace along the line, so I missed seeing this last week. Now I'm playing catch-up.

I tried permanent marker on just a little patch but didn't like the effect. I used acrylic paint, and Bitty is better, if not perfect.