Friday, June 29, 2018

BACK TO WORK


The house remembers happier years.

Now that Mike is home, it’s time to work again. Unfortunately, he couldn’t fix the Cub Cadet riding mower before he left, so now repairing it is a priority.

So, off to the farm we went on Thursday (June 28). Another system is moving through the region bringing cooler temps but (unfortunately) little to no rain. We arrived at the farm about 10:00, and it was a chilly 60 degrees.

Maturing grain field
You may recall that before Mike left on his great adventure, he rode the XT250 to the farm in hopes of fixing the lawnmower, but he developed a flat tire and I had to go get him. We had the repaired tire with us, so our first task was to put it on the bike. Once that was accomplished, he attempted to repair the lawnmower, but it still didn’t start. By pushing and pulling, we managed to get it on the trailer for the trip back to town. Mike had hoped to ride the XT, but I didn’t want to pull the trailered lawnmower. Now he’s looking for a ride back to the farm to get the XT.

Back in town, we left the mower at a shop, and Mike says he feels relieved to hand that repair off to someone else. And they have a backlog of work, so we don't know when it will be ready. Time was, lawnmower repair was practically a hobby interest for Mike. That was then; this is now.

Potential exists for a good crop of zucchini
Farm yard report
·      We haven’t mowed in a month, so the grass is long.
·      Zucchini is coming along well.
·      Strawberries are okay. I picked about a cup and we had shortcake for supper.
·      The yarrow has grown. I’m hopeful it will take.
·      Because the grass has become dense in the grove, I checked only the first laurel tree, but it looks good at this point.

As we sat on the steps eating lunch, I wondered aloud if I was seeing a deer in June’s field. The grain stalks would part to reveal something brown, and then it would disappear again. Eventually my suspicions were confirmed when a doe came down the hill and crossed the lane. She had been lying down, and the grain was tall enough to obscure her.

House Report
We didn’t go into the house, but Mike looked through the window and confirmed that the sub-floor is up now. I could hear big fans running. KW

2 comments:

Chuck said...

I look forward to hearing progress reports on the house and the mower. Why didn't you want to take the mower back home. What vehicle did you have? I thought you were a good driver in those circumstances. At least you are safely home.

Kathy said...

We had the Dodge Dakota. I have just never towed anything, and I didn't want the first time to be when I was by myself. The biggest concern for me would have been towing it in town to the repair place.

I'm trying to be positive about the house, but I'm pretty down about it. I haven't been going in. We have a lot of decisions to make about things we never thought we'd have to decide again. I'd rather think about something else.